Sign in to follow this  
One_Dude

Opening a Peavey T-300 speaker

OK, this will probably sound like I am a complete newbie but here goes anyway. I recently picked up a Peavey T-300 PA speaker (1x12" with 1x10" plus peizo) that needs slight cosmetic repair. While cruising my local used equipment store I found a matching T-300 that needs some electrical repair. To perform the repair I have to get inside the cabinet. Looking at the T-300 that I already have I can not see how you get into the box. I know that some Peavey speaker grills are held in place by "Velcro", but I gently tried to pull off the grill with no success. I don't want to damage the grill cloth or the associated metal pieces as it would be a pain to find replacements. There must be a way to get into the cabinet without damaging those pieces.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks, JR

Sure. Take a flat bladed screwdriver and place it between the aluminum extrusion and the outer edge of the cabinet. Pry. Move farther up or down on the same side and repeat. It's not "velcro" in the usual sense, they are plastic squares that grab each other tenaciously when engaged. I used to have to give them a whack with my fist in several locations to get them to engage, so no, they don't just ease out...

Kim

Thanks for the info. As it turns out I decided not to buy the speaker in question since it is missing the peizo tweeters. I thought at first that the tweeters would be of no value to me, but after closely listening to the T-300 that I already have I could tell that they definitely add to the crispness of the sound. The cost to replace the tweeters in the subject speaker makes the purchase price far less attractive. I have paired the T-300 with another Peavey speaker I own (1x12 w/peizo) and really like the sound produced. The T-300 seems to highlight the vocals and put them right up front while the other speaker reinforces the bass. I'll continue shopping till I find another T-300.

Thanks, JR