Yamaha EMX512SC Speaker Options

• Members

I am considering buying a Yamaha EMX512SC. My question is, when I get round to buy some speakers, do they have to match the power of the mixer? If they don't do I risk blowing them?

Thanks for the help, I am quite new to this.

jj

• Members

There are much more informed people on this board than me, but AFAIK it basically comes down to how you use the system. The EMX512SC will give you 350w a side into 8-ohms, so if you use speakers rated at or above that you're unlikely to damage them even if you turn up the amp all the way. But turning up the amp all the way will sound blegh so you won't actually want to use all that power. Hence, you'll likely not need such high rated speakers- if you use them sensibly.

The rating of the speaker just refers to the durability of the wires inside it; like a fuse wire, they will only handle up to a certain load. In short bursts they will handle higher loads though which is why you get the 'RMS', 'program' and 'peak' power loads. But if in doubt, get speakers whose RMS power handling is at least as much as the output of hte amp, because that's close to 'idiot proof'.

(But like I said I'm not a pro, unlike most of the guys on this board) :wave:

• Members

My question is, when I get round to buy some speakers, do they have to match the power of the mixer? If they don't do I risk blowing them?

First question - Preferably, for the reasons Bob O'Brian outlined above. In addition if you get speakers that are vastly overrated compared to the power amp, you may not get the best out of them either as you won't be driving enough watts through to get the speakers moving so matching the right speakers is definitely a preferable thing.

Second question - If the speakers aren't high enough capacity then yes, you risk blowing them.

• Members

The 320 watts @8ohms in that mixer is a max rating.I bet either the Yamaha Club 12's or 15's would sound great.If it's for vocals only,or eventually to add subs then 12's.You could run 4 12's(2 monitor and 2 main)pretty easy.That all said I think most here would suggest an unpowered mixer with either powered speakers or passive speakers with power amps.That way you can build more PA without being locked in to the 512

• Members

We've been using that box for two years now. Wonderfully light. Ratings are exaggerated (but what's new?). We power two JBL MP415's and two Yamaha 10" Club V's with em. Both without a sweat. Every once in a while we stick a mic on our kick drum and that takes some care. Low end (like any amp/mixer combo) needs to be watched. Results are ok but dont expect a real thump. Yet I digress.

We've run the JBL's in stereo and thats when they sound best. I think they are rated for 350 watts continuous. Also had a pair of old Yammy Clubs prior and they worked well.

I probably didnt answer your question but I think the 512 could power any 15" 2-way speaker without much problem. Just watch the clipping.

Stay tuned for much better answers.

• Members

I am considering buying a Yamaha EMX512SC. My question is, when I get round to buy some speakers, do they have to match the power of the mixer? If they don't do I risk blowing them?

Thanks for the help, I am quite new to this.

jj

This particular mixer has a maximum power output capability of 350 watts per channel at 8 ohms OR 500 watt per channel at 4 ohms. This means it is definitely preferable to use speakers that will be able to handle this amount of power at these impedances. What type of power ratings to look for on the speaker itself? If it's an 8 ohm speaker, 350 watts program power (or more) would be OK while 350 watt RMS (or more) would be even better. Don't look at peak ratings on speakers as it is just a big number that is not representative of what the speaker can handle long term...

I've always tried to match an amplifier's continuous output spec to the speaker's program power spec.

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

So is the power enough to gig with then? Is it better to have a powered mixer, or powered speakers and an unpowered mixer?

Thanks again,

jj

Power requirements depend on your needs, what type of music you play, how loud you need it, what instruments are going through the PA etc...

If you're a solo performer playing acoustic guitar and singing, and have a pair of speakers powered by a 350 watt/channel powered mixer, yes it CAN be enough in many venues. It may not be enough in others. It certainly won't be enough if you decide to add a bass player and drummer through this same PA. So, it really depends on a variety of factors...

Powered speakers OR passive speakers + power amps can both produce equally impressive results depending on the quality of the products. Both types of systems have advantages and disadvantages as well.

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

So is the power enough to gig with then? Is it better to have a powered mixer, or powered speakers and an unpowered mixer?

Thanks again,

jj

I've been full circle on this one.

At first, I thought I wanted a powered mxier and passive speakers.

Then I picked up the idea that it would be better to get a mixer and some active speakers.

Then I started pricing things up and it was going to be cheaper to go with a mixer, power amp, and passive speakers.

Then I realised I'd need to add EQ and FX units to that, and suddenly I was looking at a whole rack of stuff.

And then the guys on this board steered me back onto a powered mixer :idea: and I'm currently looking at either the EMX512SC or a Peavey XR696F.

• Members

Yes, I think you can play smaller clubs with it.Either the Yami or the Peavey would work well.Which ever one you like best.

I fall in the middle of this having the Yami 5014c,which has the same power as the 512.This mixer lets you set the power for aux1 and aux2 to power monitors.Two amps and a crossover handle the mains(tops and subs).This works well for what I do but may not for your application.

• Members

For solo acoustic work or small band vocals (2,500 sq. ft rooms) a powered mixer will work. You can use one channel for FOH (two 8 ohm speakers) and one for monitors (again, two 8 ohm speakers). What is the budget for speakers? Don't forget about mics, stands and cables. Get good quality stuff now, i.e SM58 mics and cables from audiopile.net

• Members

I've been full circle on this one.

At first, I thought I wanted a powered mxier and passive speakers.

Then I picked up the idea that it would be better to get a mixer and some active speakers.

Then I started pricing things up and it was going to be cheaper to go with a mixer, power amp, and passive speakers.

A mixer, separate power amp, and passive speakers will always be more money than the same mixer and the comparable active version of the same speaker. If you found it was less money to go with more components, then you likely were not comparing comparable products. Additionally, you will get more bang for your buck w/ active cabinets due to built in limiters, crossovers, EQ, etc.

• Members

A mixer, separate power amp, and passive speakers will always be more money than the same mixer and the comparable active version of the same speaker. If you found it was less money to go with more components, then you likely were not comparing comparable products. Additionally, you will get more bang for your buck w/ active cabinets due to built in limiters, crossovers, EQ, etc.

Yup I was probably comparing apples and oranges, so to speak. I was switching to a passive version of the same speaker, but getting a very cheap power amp. My reasoning on that was because I'd heard that the power amp itself has little to do with the sound quality (compared to the board and speakers) so didn;t see why I should spend a lot on it.

• Members

I fall in the middle of this having the Yami 5014c,which has the same power as the 512.This mixer lets you set the power for aux1 and aux2 to power monitors.Two amps and a crossover handle the mains(tops and subs).This works well for what I do but may not for your application.

Would I be able to do this with the EMX512SC as well?

• Members

Do you know if these models have built in compresson as well? Ive had a look but can't find any info on them.

Thanks for the help.

I believe it is just the "MG-CX" series of mixers that have built-in compression. I wouldn't make a decision based on that feature. Yamaha's implementation of that feature is quite limited.

• Members

Do you know if these models have built in compresson as well? Ive had a look but can't find any info on them.

Thanks for the help.

I know the 5014 and 16 do,but am not sure about the older models.Musicians Friend and just about any of the online sales sites should have a description of them.Good luck researching your new equipment.I would recommend reading more in this forum to help you decide.There are very knowledgeable people around here who may be helpful to your decision making and in using what you purchase.Good Luck!!

• Members

Thanks for the help.

dont get too caught up in the on board compressors. they are OK but you can live without them.

The 512 is a great little unit that will easily let vocals and acoustic guitars compete with everything else in a small to mid size room. Just dont lean on it too heavily for low end. This goes for almost all powered mixers. If you're going to be doing loud metal in clubs, I'd look elsewhere.

Again, we've been using this for almost two years now. Went through a lot of iterations before I knew what worked best for us. Couple this with a pair of good used 15" two-ways, you'll be more than halfway to a great little system.

• 11 years later...

Archived