Will a single Yamaha 12" Club V speaker be enough ?

• Members

AFAIK, Every amp you have listed is a boat anchor except the PLX. Get the PLX, your back will thank you. Consider bumping up to the PLX2402 for 450-500 watts per channel at 8 ohms (thd & freq. spec dependent) this would give you a little over program power for one speaker but if you get two and want to run them on one side of the amp and use the other side for subs or ?, it'll still give 350 watts per speaker. That's at 21#. At 44.5# the qsc RMX2450 will do a similar job, and a little less, the RMX1850 will do a great job, too.

Boomerweps

• Members

The peak rating is just the "program" rating with a math conversion for peak value. Technically, it's the (RMS voltage x 1.414)**2/Zload. It's the 1.414 factor that is responsible for the conversion.

300 watts is ideal for that box. Also be sure to use the high pass filter at 50Hz on the QSC amp which is my favorite.

• Members

Yamaha EQ's ok ?

What do you pay for when buying an eq, do the good brand ones sound better ? Or is it more of a reliability thing, eq's can't go horribly wrong and blow up your system I assume?

I see some of them have low boost / cut off, which I think i'll go for.

Cheers
Mike

• Members

no no no, don't worry i'm not gonna use the crappy peavies, i'm gonna sell em, i'm simply gonna use that mixer for it's power amp, is that a good idea ?

I'll use my better Phonic mixer as planned before, I assume the power amp inside the yamaha mixer will be as good quality as the ones normal ones they make.

I'm still going to be using my ClubV only.

If using a Yamaha powered mixer soly as a power amp is a bad idea I can still sell it with the crappy speakers, or seperate for a decent profit.

Cheers !
Mike

• CMS Author

no no no, don't worry i'm not gonna use the crappy peavies, i'm gonna sell em, i'm simply gonna use that mixer for it's power amp, is that a good idea ?

I'll use my better Phonic mixer as planned before, I assume the power amp inside the yamaha mixer will be as good quality as the ones normal ones they make.

I'm still going to be using my ClubV only.

If using a Yamaha powered mixer soly as a power amp is a bad idea I can still sell it with the crappy speakers, or seperate for a decent profit.

Cheers !

Mike

You need 300 watts, and have an amp that'll do 135 watts. It'll work but not as expected.

• Members

Ok thanks, not dumb, just inexperianced.

I'll sell the mixer / peavies for a bit of profit, i've just won this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170204485952&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

You guys were just in time so I didn't miss it, so now I got an Ok power amp, I won this as well:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370035515006&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=024

So have a decent eq.

I think i'm all set ! (For now)

Lets hope I don't blow it up =)

Thanks so much for your help guys !

I'll v prolly be on here bugging the hell outta you guys again soon ! Let me know if I can help in any way.

Or if you have a paypal account I can send $10 to as a thanks.

• Members
Actually, having only one amplifier, in there, all he ends up with is a 4ohm load on the amp....

I was actually referring to the "shotgun" WTF approach that usually ends up with a smoldering mess. Bridging or tieing two channels together just makes the process more efficient ;)

• Members

"Actually, having only one amplifier, in there, all he ends up with is a 4ohm load on the amp...."

I don't understand that (big surprise I know), in my bid to learn every thing about the gear as possible (within reason) so I don't kill it can you explain how having more than one amp increases the load to the amp ?

I've just thought of some thing I should prolly know as well, i've heard of people blowing up (or err frying) mixers, how does one do that ? Is it just by pushing the gain on the channel too much so the mic pre amps die ?

Cheers !

• CMS Author

"Actually, having only one amplifier, in there, all he ends up with is a 4ohm load on the amp...."

I don't understand that (big surprise I know), in my bid to learn every thing about the gear as possible (within reason) so I don't kill it can you explain how having more than one amp increases the load to the amp ?

I've just thought of some thing I should prolly know as well, i've heard of people blowing up (or err frying) mixers, how does one do that ? Is it just by pushing the gain on the channel too much so the mic pre amps die ?

Cheers !

Well, if there were two amplifiers, as in most power amps, they could be bridged to create one channel with twice the power, but into double the single channels' individual impedance loads. But your Yammie's got one amp, so bridging isn't possible.

I'm not aware of it being commonly possible to damage a mixer by any means other than physically hitting it. You could run all the channels full gain, full fader and max the outputs if you wanted and it won't damage the mixer. Of course, whatever you plug this into will not sound good.

• Members

With a stereo power amplifier (in a stereo powered mixer), I have seen folks parallel (connect together) the two channels in their futile attempt to increase the output power. This has resulted in the smoldering pile of worthless junk where a previously functional mixer once stood.

Archived