Multipin on a budget

• Members

Is this possible.

Using the proper multi-channel cable, can I use standard computer connections (e.g. DB-9 / RS232) plugs and sockets to run multipin connections between my rack gear without crosstalk etc. type problems?

I am thinking of a multipin connection between my mixer rack and effects rack (which is only 3 eq's) so I would only need 3 balanced channels (9 pins) anyway. and another run from that rack to an amp rack also running 3 channels.

Alternatively (If I needed it) could I run say a parallel printer connection for more channels. Would this sort of thing cause any sort of problems?

I am looking at the prices of these connections compared to the pro-audio multipins and the price differences are incredible where a couple of meters of 4 or 8 channel snake cable doesn't cost much.

• CMS Author

Finding suitable boots may be difficult. The pin connections themselves are not intended for the number of plug/unplug cycles you'll typically be doing in live sound use. And a failure here could turn into a real catastrophe during a performance.

The right stuff is often expensive, but always worth it.

• Members

True, The current leading option at the moment:

Patch panels on each rack with as many XLR or TRS sockets on each panel as needed and lined up so that I don't have to think about which socket to plug into (a trs in one rack going to the trs directly underneath in the next rack).

I know XLR is better, but TRS is dirt cheap comparitively and I already have several sockets and plugs.

• Members

I wanted to look into a multipin solution to go from a drum snake type box to the FOH rack. I ended up buying an 8-channel XLR patch snake for like $40 bucks on eBay. They're color coded in the colors of the rainbow (except indigo, since I guess it'd blend with purple), plus white and black. So when I plug into the board, I go red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple... black is 1/4" with an adapter so I know that goes last... and white is my return. It's not QUITE as easy as using a multipin, but I know there's no question when I'm hooking it up and I can just plug each one in quickly.

• Members

Note that the EDAC/ELCO connectors are not very rugged and if you allow other folks to help you, it's going to be a crapshoot as to reliability over the long run. They are easily damaged.

That said, I use Elco's myself, but everybody here takes good care of stuff. We also use unloaded mating pin blocks to protect the connectors.

• Members

Note that the EDAC/ELCO connectors are not very rugged and if you allow other folks to help you, it's going to be a crapshoot as to reliability over the long run. They are easily damaged.

That said, I use Elco's myself, but everybody here takes good care of stuff. We also use unloaded mating pin blocks to protect the connectors.

I have personally seen one broken when mating, and i've had issues with the pins pushing out. Not saying they aren't worth looking into, just be careful when using them.

• Members

I wanted to look into a multipin solution to go from a drum snake type box to the FOH rack. I ended up buying an 8-channel XLR patch snake for like $40 bucks on eBay. They're color coded in the colors of the rainbow (except indigo, since I guess it'd blend with purple), plus white and black. So when I plug into the board, I go red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple... black is 1/4" with an adapter so I know that goes last... and white is my return. It's not QUITE as easy as using a multipin, but I know there's no question when I'm hooking it up and I can just plug each one in quickly.

Ok, I'm going to go back to this method. For what I'm doing multipin is proably not worthwhile.

Archived