right amp for jbl mrx 525

• Members

im currently running 4 jbl jrx 125s with 2 qsc rmx2450s.. im about to replace the jrxs with mrx 525s.. can i still use the same amps the same way without bridging? will it be enough power?

also does anyone have experience with pushing the jbl sr725 or sr722 with qsc rmx 2450s? bridged??

• Members

RMX amplifier would not be my first choice to run SRX. I would think a minimum would be the PLX2 and PL3 series would be even better. The SRX will do twice the work of JRX when properly powered. The power rating is just one factor when buying amplifiers. Damping factor, slew rate are two of my favorites to look at. I ran 16 SR4719's (Dual 18's)16 SR4722's (Dual 12's) on Crown Marco's and each pair of subs got a MA-5000. The difference in the amps that I operated the system with were night and day. Bigger better amps...bigger better sound. That is of course if you have the proper A/C to feed the amps the power they need. Ten underpowered amps are no better than fewer amps with all the A/C they need.

• Members

I power my SRX's with a Peavey GPS 3500. Sounds great but the amps are about 53 lbs each - not cheap either. I've considered going to a PLX series or XTI 4000 mainly because of weight, but I don't want to sacrifice sound quality...

• Members

Damping factor, slew rate are two of my favorites to look at.

As an amp designer, I would suggest that these two specifications are the LEAST important of any spec on an amplifier. By far and away too.

Power, and even more importantly the ability to drive a reactive load are so much farther up the list.

• Members

if i bridged the rmx2450 would it be enough for two srx?

im running 4 dual 18s & 4 single 18s so my subs are hitting very hard..

trying to decide if i should go with the srx dual 12 or srx dual 15 for mains??? would the 2450 be strong enough to push the srx dual 12s? anyone have a chance to hear them seperate (but with subs)? they will be for mobile shows/festivals and large mobile party setups from hip hop dj playback to live bands.. jus trying to redo my mains but keep using the same rmx2450s because i have plenty of them and dont want a lot of mis matching different amps in a setup.. how about the rmx 4050?

• Members

Dual 12's would be a better use of resources and sound better in the big picture (w/ subs). If you find yourself running out of subs right now, you might want to look at adding more cabinets in addition to more power. I have found that 6-800 watts RMS per box is a good match and adding more boxes at that power level results in greater increases in both low frequency extension and SPL gains due to operating away from the bigger effects of power compression. The drivers will also last a lot longer.

The effects of power compression are not very honestly or openly discussed, the numbers are most interesting and revealing.

Archived