Question about mixer outputs into power amp for solo speaker.

• Members

Hi

My band are going to be rehearsing in my living room which i'm converting inot a rehearsal / recording studio using 4" thick acoustic foam and 100m thick 45KG dense rocksilk slabs.

I've already had alot of help selecting gear from AgedHorse and CraigV, I decided to go for just 1 speaker (12" Yamaha StageV) as it's just for the vocals / keys and is in a small room.

So I have 1 speaker and 2 mixer outputs, left and right presumably, though the left and right sides on the mixer are controlled by one fader, any way, should I have 2 mono xlr's / 1/4" jacks from both mixer outputs combined going to 1 channel of the power amp ?

Or should I have 1 mixer out (either left or right) into the amp ?

The power amp inputs are 1/4" jacks.

Cheers!

Mike

• Members

Thanks again agedhorse.

I got my crown amcron powerbase 2 today which powers up ok, the front grill was dusty as hell so I took it off and cleaned it, dried it and put it back, I think the inside will be dusty as hell as well, ahh well, that's ebay for you.

I'm assumed the power amp outputs were 1/4", though now I see they're 5 point binding post, so I need banana clips.

I already ordered a speakon - 1/4" 2X2.5mm cores lead with neutrik connectors, I ordered 2 banana clips today to change the lead to speakon - banana, apart from making sure the polarities are the right way around is there any advice you can give for a first timer making a cable ?

Does the XLR - 1/4" i'll be using to connect my mixer to the amp input need to be 2X2.5mm cores cable (14 gauge) as well ? I don't think so but I thought i'de check.

I'll also be using the left over neutrik 1/4" to convert one of my XLR-XLR leads to female XLR- male 1/4" to use from my mixer to the amp, that is if that lead doesn't need to be 14Ga.

Cheers !

Mike

• Members

Input cable needs to be 2 conductor shielded pair, NOT 14 gauge speaker cable.

Be sure to blow out the inside of the powerbase amp, paying close attention to the inside surfaces of the folded ribbon heat exchangers that collect dust and fuzz regardless of the filters. Also be sure your fan works properly.

• Members

ok, this is the cable i'm going to use for mixer to power amp accept with 1/4" on one end:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XLR-lead-6m-Van-Damme-Cable-Neutrik-Connectors_W0QQitemZ260225185002QQihZ016QQcategoryZ23783QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

It says:

"TO PREVENT ELECTRIC SHOCK DO NOT REMOVE TOP OR BOTTOM COVERS. NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE."

If I open it up to blow out the dust can it shock me ?

Fan is working, I can hear it, it's not a quiet amp, acceptable though.

Cheers

Mike

• Members

The cable will work, but it's stupid-expensive designer type stuff. Just a basic cable will work fine.

It will not shock you if it's not plugged in. You can get to everything from the top, blow from the outside side vents into the amp to dislodge the dust on the heatsinks first. This is particularly unique to the Crown MA/MT/PB/CT inputs.

• Members

Ok i'll try it tomorrow, they say you lose half the signal with a cheap cable, is that bs ?

Do Neutrik connectors / Van Damme cable make a difference ? Or is it the kind of difference only dogs / cats can hear ?

Cheers !

Mike

• Members

Do Neutrik connectors / Van Damme cable make a difference ? Or is it the kind of difference only dogs / cats can hear ?

Neutrik connectors are good, but about the same cost as crappy stuff. Esoteric cable MAYBE makes a difference to dogs, but even that would be a stretch for this application.

• Members

I recieved my DOD EQ today, and fried it...

A very stupid mistake, it's from the US, and I used a UK mains lead for it, so I got a smoke machine instead.

Fit only for the bin or can it be fixed easily ?

Cheers !

Mike

Archived