Lightest Powered Sub For Full Band?

• Members

As my back continues to ache, I'm finding myself thinking more and more about portability/weight in our PA. What's the lightest powered sub out there (that's $1500 or less, let's say) that would be able to handle a full band playing jazz standards (running a full drumkit and bass through it)? And by lightweight, let's say under 60 lbs. Let's assume indoor gigs or outside shows up to 150 people or so. Is the new EV SB2A (with SX300's as tops) a viable answer? Are there other lightweight powered subs out there that may work in this situation?

Thanks, everyone.

• Members

Thanks for the recommendations. The PRX518 is what I had planned on getting (I already have a pair of PRX515's), but it's 79 lbs and I'm going to be carrying these up and down steps by myself. I had been looking at the FBT MaxX 9Sa as well as an option (maybe with a pair of MaxX 4a's). But I'm really trying to find a solution that's considerably lighter than these.

The EV SB2A's are just a 12", but they're only 35 lbs. Was wondering if a pair of these with the EV SX300's would handle small (150 people) outdoor shows running drums and bass through them. Anyone have experience with these?

Any other light powered sub options out there?

Thanks.

• Members

For what you are doing, I would try the EV's, but you can keep your top cabinets if you like them. I would choose 12" tops though with subs to keep their size weight down even more.

Also, consider 2 or more smaller subs rather than a larger heavier sub and make another trip on the stairs... it's easier on the back in the long run.

• Members

For what you are doing, I would try the EV's, but you can keep your top cabinets if you like them. I would choose 12" tops though with subs to keep their size weight down even more.

Also, consider 2 or more smaller subs rather than a larger heavier sub and make another trip on the stairs... it's easier on the back in the long run.

Thanks, agedhorse. Do you have any experience with the EV SB2A's? They're a 12" with 350 watts. Is a 12" driver going to handle kick drum and bass OK, do you think (and cover 150 people or so outdoors)?

• Members

Has anybody used one of those trolley things with three little wheels arranged in a triangle that are supposed to 'roll' up and down stairs? I saw an advert for one in a leaflet the other day and thought it might be ideal for this sort of thing if only it's robust and if only those wheels do actually cope with steps. Sorry to stray a bit off topic, but if you can't reduce the weight, you may be able to deal with it a bit better ... .

• Members

Thanks for the responses. Haven't seen the trolley with wheels. I think I'd still prefer to find a lighter sub. Just don't seem to be much out there in the way of "light" subs.

Needing it to be powered cuts your options. Maybe you should reconsider carrying a seperate amp, that would add a trip, but might open up more options. Not much out there under 60 lbs.

I'm looking to set up a demo of the Danley Mini to see if it will fit our needs. Can't get much smaller or lighter for it's output.

http://danleysoundlabs.com/tapped_horn.asp?MODEL=TH%20MINI

Winston

• Members

I have an RCF TTS12A in stock that might suit you, but it's a little over your budget. 62 lbs.

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate it, but probably more weight than I'd want for just a 12" speaker. Good sounding sub, though, I'm sure.

• Members

I have an RCF TTS12A in stock that might suit you, but it's a little over your budget. 62 lbs.

Have you compared that to a Danley mini yet? It's even smaller, how does it sound? Do you drop ship? If so shoot me a PM quote on two of each.

Thanks, Winston.

• Members

Mike, that sounds like it might fit the bill. Is that sub still available?

The photo didn't pop up initially when I sent my response...sure "looks" like it'll fit the bill! What's the availability and price? What dB Technologies top cabinet would you recommend to pair with it (would love to get away with a single sub and two tops for our little jazz group)? Thanks, Mike.

• Members

The photo didn't pop up initially when I sent my response...sure "looks" like it'll fit the bill! What's the availability and price? What dB Technologies top cabinet would you recommend to pair with it (would love to get away with a single sub and two tops for our little jazz group)? Thanks, Mike.

The sub is a dB Technologies Stage Opera 41.15.

I have a few of these in stock, but they were discontinued by dB last year and replaced with a bandpass model. These are a very compact front loaded 15". When I ordered them I got some of the dB 10" tops to try out also. Neither has great output, but I've used one of these along with some powered 12" 2 ways to DJ swing dance crowds of 150. I think that live performance would definitely need a pair. They sound decent at moderate levels but sound crappy when they hit the limiters.

For what you describe, I'd match these up with RCF ART310As or FBT Maxx4a tops. I'll PM you re the pricing.

• Members

The sub is a dB Technologies Stage Opera 41.15.

I have a few of these in stock, but they were discontinued by dB last year and replaced with a bandpass model. These are a very compact front loaded 15". When I ordered them I got some of the dB 10" tops to try out also. Neither has great output, but I've used one of these along with some powered 12" 2 ways to DJ swing dance crowds of 150. I think that live performance would definitely need a pair. They sound decent at moderate levels but sound crappy when they hit the limiters.

For what you describe, I'd match these up with RCF ART310As or FBT Maxx4a tops. I'll PM you re the pricing.

Got your PM, Mike (before I read this reply). PM'd you back. Thanks. I take it you're not a dB Technologies dealer anymore?

• Members

As a side note, I own the MRX518s and for some reason they feel lighter than they are. I guess it might be where the handles are placed but I have no problems moving them around at all. I have moved lighter subs that felt much heavier than the MRXs. Weird though.

Archived