Carvin TRX vs. JBL MRX???

• Members

That was back when their cabinets actually had something like JBL, GAUSS, Renkus-Heinz(horns) speakers in them.

Once they started having Eminence make their speakers, their cabinet designs completely changed.
:cry:

My bass player had a pair of those 90x45 bass bins with a pair of the horns, and they were actually pretty good - but they had no kick if you tried to run a kick drum through them.

C

That was also when the performance expectations were much lower, size and weight was not as big of a factor, amplifier power was smaller so efficiency (at the expense of bandwidth, size and weight) was of prime importance. Today's mid level cabinets simply smoke the older Carvin offerings, no comparison on all accounts. Even their current offerings are far superior to their older products IMO.

• Members

That was also when the performance expectations were much lower, size and weight was not as big of a factor, amplifier power was smaller so efficiency (at the expense of bandwidth, size and weight) was of prime importance. Today's mid level cabinets simply smoke the older Carvin offerings, no comparison on all accounts. Even their current offerings are far superior to their older products IMO.

THat is definitely true - I was just thinking about Carvin's being loaded with "Name" brand speakers. I have some Carvin gear, I don't really have any complaints about it - it is what it is.

What I want to know is who was "Perkins" and why did he design those dreaded 90x45 cabinets!:p I figured those were designed in the 50's or 60's, but man did I hate those things. I'm just not a fan of horn-loaded low end (actually, I'm not a fan of horn loaded anything.... I'm still trying to figure out a way around horns for the high end, but I'm not sure if it is possible.

I remember in the 80's, EVERYBODY that i knew had at least 1 pair of those HUGE Perkins cabinets, and they were THE WORST for low end - yeah, they would throw low end, but you couldn't really get a kick drum to thump with them no matter what, and you had to EQ them to death to make them less "honky" in the mids.

All I can say is Thank Heavens for Front-loaded cabinets!

:lol:

C

• Members

Could this be the Perkins of truly british eq fame?

Don't think so. I don't know for sure but something rings a bell about 4560 copies being built for the music industry by a company called Northwest Sound and maybe these were referred to as Perkins cabinets.

Maybe Mark or Don have a better recollection.

• Members

Don't think so. I don't know for sure but something rings a bell about 4560 copies being built for the music industry by a company called Northwest Sound and maybe these were referred to as Perkins cabinets.

Maybe Mark or Don have a better recollection.

There the dreaded things are. I hadto hunt on E-bay to find a picture of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-PERKINS-BINS-WITH-SRO-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ320309735443QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320309735443&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

C

• 10 years later...
  • Members

I bought a Trx 2153 A about 2 years ago for a drum monitor and still working great ,punchy as hell ,clear crisp  only problem is I wanted another one and they are out of production right now I own a JBL SRX system the 725 s and 728s with a Midas M 32  and QSC amps the RMX 50/50 on top and 2 /2450 s bridged for the subs  but I was impressed with the tight reliable sound of that Carvin pa cab

Archived