rattling monitor

• Members

Hi all.

I was unloading after a rehearsal where I had been using an ev foldback wedge for playing bass. On moving it I heard a rattle. I played through it and didn't seem to hear any problems.

On opening, it appears to have lost a capacitor that is in parallel with the 12" speaker. I can't really read what the capacitor says so I don't know what to replace it with. It is an older ev speaker that has worked flawlessly for me for years.

photos attached of the monitor along with closeups of the crossover and the capacitor. I have a working cab still if measurements are needed from another, also, what sort of glue holds this stuff in?

• Members

I don't know the value. I would measure the value (need a cap meter and the test must be made with one end lifted from the circuit) and choose a suitable replacement. Maybe you can read the value of the one on the good cabinet?

• Members

I don't know the value. I would measure the value (need a cap meter and the test must be made with one end lifted from the circuit) and choose a suitable replacement. Maybe you can read the value of the one on the good cabinet?

That's what I was thinking.

On the other point, the reason for this failure appears to be the glue. Is there a recommended glue type for this type of job, or am I better off getting a couple of ties and not relying on a bond that could go.

PS. On closer inspection (i've never looked into these before) the horns and compression drivers on these monitors are identical to the two home-made cabs I have. (renkus-heinz). along with similar quality woofers I now realise why the 4 work so well together.

• Members

I would call EV about the capacitor and the type of glue. The wedge looks like a FM1202 or FM1202ER. I have 10 of these, as well as a bunch of other EV boxes, and I have had no trouble picking up the phone and talking to their tech department. Given your location, email may be a more viable first option to try.

• CMS Author

On the other point, the reason for this failure appears to be the glue. Is there a recommended glue type for this type of job, or am I better off getting a couple of ties and not relying on a bond that could go.

If the mounting board is substantial, a nylon tie might work, but I'd be concerned that vibration will still fatigue the wires. If it were mine, I'd mix up a big batch of two-part epoxy and reinforce the glue with it. Be careful not to literally drown the parts in it....the epoxy will act as a thermal blanket and the coils will not dissipate heat as well. Caps won't suffer as much from this.

• Members

R/H used EV componenets in some boxes way back. I don't recall HF componenets but I do remember some LF drivers.

I think EV australia was a bit of a grey area for a while, Jands, etone and ev all seemed to be in bed with each other for some things.

• Members

I have tested the capacitor with my multimeter, everywhere on the web says that a multimeter can't do this, but there is a capacitor symbol/setting on it and I'm getting a consistent signal from it. 20.23 uf

Does this sound like a likely value?

Archived