I love ebay, I hate ebay

• Members

Some good deals on pro audio stuff can be found on ebay but beware of damaged goods.

My UREI LA-12 arrived with a malfunctioning channel. Traced the detector with a scope and found a bad circuit board trace on the threshold pot. Simple jumper wire fixed it.

Eventide 2016 arrived with a bent rack ear. The picture in the auction shows no damage, must have gotten damaged during transit. Seller didn't pack it well enough. It powers up and knobs work, haven't checked for audio it's been a long day and it's late.

Argh. Good thing I have an EE degree and a bench with test instruments and tools.

• Members

Bought a TC M300 for $95 last month. Paid immediately with Paypal. Seller sent me a USPS shipping notice. A week went by and no shipment - checked his Ebay account - cancelled! I filed a report with paypal and waited. They decided in my favour on the 15th and refunded $85. Guess what showed up on my doorstep on the 16th...

Still haven't heard from the seller.

• Members

I've had nothing but good luck. A lot of it is common sense. If the seller has a lot of feedback, been a member for several years and the listing looks good it's fine. You just have to avoid the temptation of bidding on items from those with no feedback, listings that look to good to be true, or all the "Hong Kong" ones.

I use the "if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck......"

• Members

I've had mostly good luck with Feebay, but I've been shafted once or twice. The first time was way back in 2000 when I bought a crappy little camera for $20. I sent the money order, and never heard back from the seller. I wrote eBay, and they said the account was canceled. They gave me the address, so I wrote and tried to call to no avail. At least it was just twenty bucks, and not two thousand.

One thing - people will outright lie about condition. It's just as true on eBay as it is on internet classifieds. I can't tell you how many things I've bought that were supposedly in "excellent" condition that were anything but. If I buy a guitar or bass in "excellent" condition, it shouldn't be covered with dings and scratches and have a couple good gouges out of the top.

It just goes to show that "Buyer Beware" is truer than ever.

• Members

I've purchased through ebay with much success. When going through the s&h or pickup options I tell the seller that as a highschool teacher I have a former student that is currently attending __________(fill in the blank) college (a local college to the seller). "Although it would be less costly to have Byron pick up the item and bring it back to my town during Thanksgiving/Xmas/Spring/Summer break, I'd rather have you ship it...." I never send a check to a po box.... With this method, I've never been scammed on ebay.....I guess that the seller would expect a couple of college aged "goons" knocking on his door if the deal is bogus... Mike M

Archived