Has anyone used the Shure "Push to Hear"?

• Members

Hello folks. So, I'm trying to work through a bit of a quandry. Our band is converting over to IEM's and one of the things we are trying to deal with is overcoming the communication problem that extreme isolation brings. Currently we are using some older Sennheiser units (ew300, not the G2 units) that work fantastically.

I was noticing that the SHURE Psm400 has a spot for an additional lav mic to help aid with ambient noise. Since our Sennheiser units don't have that I went looking at Shure's "Push-to-Hear" add on. Since it sits in-line with the IEM cables, I'm figuring we should be able to use it with our custom molds. I figured it I could just keep that button pressed down the whole time, we might be able to get the ambient benefit with our ears. Has anyone ever used this sytem?

What are your thoughts on it?

• CMS Author

Hello folks. So, I'm trying to work through a bit of a quandry. Our band is converting over to IEM's and one of the things we are trying to deal with is overcoming the communication problem that extreme isolation brings. Currently we are using some older Sennheiser units (ew300, not the G2 units) that work fantastically.

I was noticing that the SHURE Psm400 has a spot for an additional lav mic to help aid with ambient noise. Since our Sennheiser units don't have that I went looking at Shure's "Push-to-Hear" add on. Since it sits in-line with the IEM cables, I'm figuring we should be able to use it with our custom molds. I figured it I could just keep that button pressed down the whole time, we might be able to get the ambient benefit with our ears. Has anyone ever used this sytem?

What are your thoughts on it?

Actually the PSM-400 bodypack doesn't have a lavalier input. The PSM-200 does (it's actually the jack used for wired operation).

The first page of the PTH user guides states:

"

Only for use between headphone jacks and earphones to

interrupt the sound source for very brief conversation."

Sounds like it ducks the sound source when you're using it to hear conversations. If so, it's a non-starter.

• Members

The PSM200 and ambient kit are awesome. We did the ambient mic on stage but we still could only hear what was happening at the mic. We were constantly removing one ear to hear people talking to us (requests, etc...) during the show. The Shure kit allows us to hear people talking direct to us. With my custom molded E5s and the ambient kit, I never have to take the in ears out and I have no problem communicating with the people around me.

• Members

Sounds like it ducks the sound source when you're using it to hear conversations. If so, it's a non-starter.

Craigv is right. I have the Shure PTH connected to some Westone UM2's. The PTH allows for you to hear without constantly taking out the earphones. When you press the PTH button, it allows you to hear what's in close proximity of you, but still slightly hear what's going on in your IEM mix. Release the button an your back to regular volume of your IEM.

• CMS Author

Craigv is right. I have the Shure PTH connected to some Westone UM2's. The PTH allows for you to hear without constantly taking out the earphones. When you press the PTH button, it allows you to hear what's in close proximity of you, but still slightly hear what's going on in your IEM mix. Release the button an your back to regular volume of your IEM.

Yeah, I found more....it ducks the sound source 40dB. You can't use it as an ambiance mic.

• Members

The above options using ambient mics and running it into your IEM's mix is a partial solution, but you're going to want to have some type of control over them. Once the band starts playing, your ambient mics are going to pic up everything on stage and you're not going to be able to tell what's ambient vs. in ear mix.

• CMS Author

Shure had an ambient kit for the PSM-200 products. I've looked today and can't find it, so it may have been dropped. BUt Radio Shack sells an inexpensive lavalier that will work. It has a hi-low volume control only, but you simply plug it into the PSM200 bodypack jack, and it will work along with the wireless signal. This is possibly the only bodypack made that has this dual wired/wireless capability.

Archived