Sennheiser ew 100 vs 300 vs 500?

• Members

Ok, Sennheiser is pretty useless for telling me what the difference is between the ew 100, 300 and 500 G2 units. I'm looking for a new wireless body pack transmitter/receiver and these units look good.

They all have band A freq (500mhz) which is the main requirement. My other requirement would be balanced output on the receiver.

So, what the heck is the difference between the three series?

• Members

The 100 series I know has a "camera set" that is a bodypack transmitter and bodypack reciever for portable use. All the G2s are on AA with almost the same screen. And you actually can go XLR, it will accept a balanced signal with a cable that I have.

• Members

Just be careful which channels you get. The 700 - 800 band will be off limits come next Feb (as in illegal to transmit on). While it will be clear for a while and nobody will likely come knockin' on your door, at some point there will be a lot of traffic on it and your stuff likely won't work. Whether that will be 10 months or 10 years from now who knows, but companies spent BILLIONS at the FCC auction to buy the frequencies so I'm sure they plan on using it sooner rather than later.

Hey the great news for me is I left my IEM's, that transmit on that frequency, at a country club after a wedding gig. Club said they had them, but then they lost them. .....sigh

• Members

Ok, Sennheiser is pretty useless for telling me what the difference is between the ew 100, 300 and 500 G2 units. I'm looking for a new wireless body pack transmitter/receiver and these units look good.

They all have band A freq (500mhz) which is the main requirement. My other requirement would be balanced output on the receiver.

So, what the heck is the difference between the three series?

There is no difference at all in performance between the different series. The 300 and 500 can act as part of a network via the Net1 interface box, and associated software. The higher the series the more channels in storage. The 500 Series has a headphone monitor jack and level knob on the front panel of the receiver. 500 series stuff is only sold as separate items, so no sets. And then the EM550 is their "high-end" dual receiver in the line.

The bargain is definitely the 100 series - most of the features, all of the performance, and if you don't need a computer interface or headphone jack, then no wasted cost.

-K

• Members

Just be careful which channels you get. The 700 - 800 band will be off limits come next Feb (as in illegal to transmit on). While it will be clear for a while and nobody will likely come knockin' on your door, at some point there will be a lot of traffic on it and your stuff likely won't work. Whether that will be 10 months or 10 years from now who knows, but companies spent BILLIONS at the FCC auction to buy the frequencies so I'm sure they plan on using it sooner rather than later.

Hey the great news for me is I left my IEM's, that transmit on that frequency, at a country club after a wedding gig. Club said they had them, but then they lost them. .....sigh

Thats why I was going to get the 500mhz band (A). I'm actually replacing my 700mhz camera mic/receiver with this.

• Members

no audible difference ,difference is in RF power ew100 is 100 milliwatts and ew500 is 500 milliwatts hope my guess is right

Why guess? 500mW isn't even legal in the US.

All the transmitters in the EWG2 lineup are 30mW, regardless of 100, 300 or 500 series. The only exception is the SR350 dual-channel IEM transmitter, with switchable 15mW or 100mW.

-K

Archived