rcf 10" drivers for vocal wedges/mains

• Members

I have been considering getting / making some slightly smaller mains and wedges. Essentially I'm lacking a little space for my system (12" mains and monitors) as I own a van not a truck but still want the same level of quality and volume that I'm getting now.

I know the arguments about buying rather than making but I already own all the requisite wood, corners, grills etc. and I want to prove to myself that I can make something like this (for my own enjoyment).

I am looking at a couple of RCF drivers L10-561K 10" and was wondering if anyone had any opinion on them and whether they could make a decent small box for vocal only wedges and for mains (with subs). Assume medium loud rock band but not to the metal point. Current (more than adequate) system is yamaha S12e mains and EV 12" monitors (sorry, not certain of the model 1702?). Would I be right in thinking that 10" speakers would be adequate for the job or is that stretching it?

• Members

Hmm, a lot of bands around here use the JBL Eons with the 10" drivers for powered monitors and they seem to work well, but just don't ask any them to do much volume below 100Hz. A HP filter is your friend with smaller drivers.

In the bass guitar world, 2x10 and 4x10 cabs are very popular and sound rather nice. Carvin used to make a 2x10+horn bass cab that could be tilted back about 45 degrees and used as a monitor.

Personally, I have some regular voice-only gigs where a 2x10+horn that could be used as a main or monitor would be very useful.

If you build something, post pics! I would love to see your handiwork.

• Members

If 100Hz as a lower limit is suitable, you might consider a sealed box. There are some advantages here that are worth considering. Be sure to model the driver in a sealed box to see if it provides suitable response.

My new line compact line array systems ended up modeling well in a sealed box, the -3dB point being 100Hz was ideal when stacking 4 boxes high the -3dB point moved to about 85Hz. The acoustic response was just about right w/ 4 boxes (minimum hang anyway) w/ a sub crossover freq of 100Hz. In practiceit works great, and there are fewer phase anomolies from 200Hz on down to 100Hz.

• Members

If 100Hz as a lower limit is suitable, you might consider a sealed box. There are some advantages here that are worth considering. Be sure to model the driver in a sealed box to see if it provides suitable response.

My new line compact line array systems ended up modeling well in a sealed box, the -3dB point being 100Hz was ideal when stacking 4 boxes high the -3dB point moved to about 85Hz. The acoustic response was just about right w/ 4 boxes (minimum hang anyway) w/ a sub crossover freq of 100Hz. In practiceit works great, and there are fewer phase anomolies from 200Hz on down to 100Hz.

I had intended looking at a sealed box first - easier to model, easier for construction. In the case of the wedges (vocals only) 100hz is the lower limit. In the case of the mains, there are subs - I will have to check what their upper limit is though.

Does anyone have an opinion on the particular speakers - I have heard good things about RCF in general but I don't know the individual models. Also looking at BEYMA G150.

• Members

You will need to model each driver in the intended box. Good is a relative term for different boxes.

Of course. Presuming it is in an adequately sized box for the job that it is doing. Whatever speaker I end up with would be modeled to the correct needs and a box made to fit - what I want to know is if the speaker is right for my needs. Does anyone know anything about this specific speaker or should the good name of RCF be enough that I can trust it to do what I want?

• Members

Moody, I found conflicting info on this driver, first of all there's no manufacturer's info or parameters that I could find w/ RCF, and it's listed some places as a mid bass driver but the model number would be MB10/561K so something does not make sense.

Also, I found recone kits retail for ~$150 USD, that indicates to me that this may be a special purpose driver or made for private label retail sales.

What additional information or links can you provide?

In general, RCF makes some excellent product.

• Members

Moody, I found conflicting info on this driver, first of all there's no manufacturer's info or parameters that I could find w/ RCF, and it's listed some places as a mid bass driver but the model number would be MB10/561K so something does not make sense.

Also, I found recone kits retail for ~$150 USD, that indicates to me that this may be a special purpose driver or made for private label retail sales.

What additional information or links can you provide?

In general, RCF makes some excellent product.

All I have to go on is the ebay auction site. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320315964626

I trust the seller, having bought from them at least 4 times (my current subs, EQ and lights are all bought from this seller) and they have been selling a variety of RCF, b&c and 18 sound speakers for a while now.

Archived