JBL MRX 515 opinions please

• Members

Greetings:

I've been reading this forum for about a year now, and have learned much, so I would like to say THANKS :thu: and hello :wave:. I'm currently running powered speakers ( QSC 122's and Yorkville NX55's ) , but am looking at a pair of the MRX 515's , so i would like to know what your opinions about them are. Also what would be a good compatible power amp. for the MRX's.

Thanks,

Terry.

• Members

I havent really had alot of listening time with them but Im gonna guess that you will only be side stepping with them compared to your HPR's. Do you run subs?

The HPR's and the NX speakers will always make great monitors if you do get the MRX515's. For an amp I would use either a XTi4000 or a PLX1804 or 2502.

• Members

I havent really had alot of listening time with them but Im gonna guess that you will only be side stepping with them compared to your HPR's. Do you run subs?

The HPR's and the NX speakers will always make great monitors if you do get the MRX515's. For an amp I would use either a XTi4000 or a PLX1804 or 2502.

I don't usually run subs. Most of the " work " i do is volunteer sound for small ministry events, which is usually singing / keyboard / acoustic guitar/ speech/

sound reinforcement. If subs are needed for bass and such, i just rent subs.

Although I like the ease of powered speakers, I'm considering moving to a passive speaker / power amp. set up in the future, so that has kept me from buying subs until i decide on the powered/ passive speaker rig.

Thanks for the amp suggestions, as I would probably go with QSC or Crown for sure.:cool:

Terry.

• Members

In that case a set of 15" would probably help you out. Like I mentioned above, your powered boxes will make great monitors. One thing I like about the MRX515's is there lack of weight, they are pretty light for what they are. Most of my work is the same as you. I do a lot of outreaches though we also are a band so I pretty much always use subs even just for kick but alot of the smaller venues or churches a set of decent 15"s like the MRX would work fine.

We played at a small church one time that had a set of SRX715's and they really sounded full even without subs.

I mentioned those amps because they put out 600w a side, (the XTi is 675w I think) that should be plenty of power for those boxes. Both are very light. The Crown has some basic DSP too I think so that might be a plus.

You may also want to look at a dual 31 band EQ.

If or when you choose subs and still want passive Ive heard pretty good reviews about the MRX518 too.

Post back what you do!

• Members

In that case a set of 15" would probably help you out. Like I mentioned above, your powered boxes will make great monitors. One thing I like about the MRX515's is there lack of weight, they are pretty light for what they are. Most of my work is the same as you. I do a lot of outreaches though we also are a band so I pretty much always use subs even just for kick but alot of the smaller venues or churches a set of decent 15"s like the MRX would work fine.

We played at a small church one time that had a set of SRX715's and they really sounded full even without subs.

I mentioned those amps because they put out 600w a side, (the XTi is 675w I think) that should be plenty of power for those boxes. Both are very light. The Crown has some basic DSP too I think so that might be a plus.

You may also want to look at a dual 31 band EQ.

If or when you choose subs and still want passive Ive heard pretty good reviews about the MRX518 too.

Post back what you do!

Thanks 1tribe;

I already use a DBX 231, so the EQ part is covered. I agree that the powered boxes make good monitors, and I alternate between the HPR's and NX's as mains, depending on my mood that day. I actually got the NX's based on the weight factor, as they are noticeably lighter than the HPR's for lifting up on stands. Thanks for the amp and sub info.

Cheers,

Terry.

• Members

Why throw money away on a 3rd set of "mains" when you need subs? For the cost of the speakers and amp, you can get some decent powered subs.

If you think you'll get away with using the MRX for applications that require subs you're mistaken. It likely won't be a noticeable improvement, at least from the standpoint of the casual observer, from your current speakers.

Another thing to consider is that you may end up going backwards a bit in the end. When you do get subs you may want 12" speakers for mains.

• Members

Since you already have powered speakers, get the PRX instead of MRX....it's the same speakers in powered form. They're bi-amped so that'll save you the hassle of setting up a crossover and rewiring for biamp.

Hey Craig;

I actually bought a pair of the PRX 512m's last summer, but returned them after 2 weeks due to random noises in one of them. The retailer eventually sent them for repair- amp replacement, but i did not buy them back.

I also found that the amp in those speakers ran very hot, compared to my HPR 122's.

I'm curious, will a self powered speaker outperform the passive version, powered by an external amp? i.e. PRX 512m versus the MRX 512m powered by an external 500 watt amp?

Although self powered speakers are convenient, there has to be a trade-off versus the externally powered equivalent. ??????

Terry.

• Members

Ive never sat down with a PRX512 and a MRX512, so with that in mind I would still think that the PRX would probably still sound better. Its bi-amped, and has some factory DSP.

I really like the HPR 122's that you have. To my ears they really sound nice. The 60 pounds is the only reason I dont buy them. Most of my shows Im setting up and tearing down solo. The Yorkies are a about 10 pounds lighter. Ive never used them but plenty of others like them as mains.

Again, they are bi-amped and designed by a speaker designer. There are other great performing powered tops out there that are quit a bit lighter than the 122's like RCF Art522's and FBT Maxx4a's or Maxx40a's. These all weigh less than 40 pounds.

Output wise, most of these have an max SPL around 130db's give or take a few. The HPR's claim around 133db's. Most passive tops are around the same 130db mark.

It doesnt sound like you need max spl, quaility of sound and clarity are probably what your needs are. (similar to mine) The HPR's do shine here so if you dont mind lifting the speakers I would probably try biulding around those. Pick up a powered sub.

I really like powered speakers, even thought its a pain sometimes to get AC power to the box, its not much different with a passive system. You still have to have AC power to the amps, you still have to run a XLR cable to the amps and you have to run a pricey heavy speaker cable to the speaker from the amp.

• Members

The trade offs are:

- Needing power in multiple locations

- Possible ground loop hums from plugging into outlets on multiple circuits (easier to use fewer circuits with passive as the amps are all together in 1 rack)

- If the amp goes the speaker is done for the show versus being able to reconfigure with a passive setup.

- Possibly increased weight.

BUT - IMO, the Pros outweigh the cons by a large margin.

- Properly powered drivers

- Bi-amped boxes (each driver has it's own amp. This increases headroom)

- electronic crossovers

- limiting and possibly other DSP built in

- Less to buy, haul, maintain

- Easy - plug and play

- Best chance of sounding "good" versus running passive cabs, amps, external DSP and crossovers. Especially true if user isn't an expert. There's just no guesswork other than maybe where to crossover the subs. Buy good speakers and you'll not even need much in the way of EQ (still should have one, just won't need to make big adjustments to it).

• Members

(easier to use fewer circuits with passive as the amps are all together in 1 rack)

- If the amp goes the speaker is done for the show versus being able to reconfigure with a passive setup.

- Possibly increased weight.

BUT - IMO, the Pros outweigh the cons by a large margin.

- Properly powered drivers

- Bi-amped boxes (each driver has it's own amp. This increases headroom)

- electronic crossovers

- limiting and possibly other DSP built in

- Less to buy, haul, maintain

- Easy - plug and play

- Best chance of sounding "good" versus running passive cabs, amps, external DSP and crossovers. Especially true if user isn't an expert. There's just no guesswork other than maybe where to crossover the subs. Buy good speakers and you'll not even need much in the way of EQ (still should have one, just won't need to make big adjustments to it).

Thats probably the biggest hurdle I have to get over playing in church buildings or converted wherehouse buildings. Most of the time its the "lack" of AC outlets, then theres the dredded ground loop buzz.

• CMS Author

I'm curious, will a self powered speaker outperform the passive version, powered by an external amp? i.e. PRX 512m versus the MRX 512m powered by an external 500 watt amp?

Although self powered speakers are convenient, there has to be a trade-off versus the externally powered equivalent. ??????

Terry.

If you duplicate everything the powered version does, then the performance is equal. The trouble is, it's pretty involved to duplicate what the powered versions do, if they have biamping, limiting, DSP etc.

• Members

Hey 1tribe;

Yeah, I hear ya, I do all the loading/unloading, set-up/ teardown myself as well, so weight and ease of set up are / were big factors in the selection of my gear.

I guess that's why the Bose type systems look appealing to some people... but lets not go there:poke:

Terry.

• Members

If you duplicate everything the powered version does, then the performance is equal. The trouble is, it's pretty involved to duplicate what the powered versions do, if they have biamping, limiting, DSP etc.

In this case it's impossible because there are parameters that are not available in the conventional DSP units... and then you would need access to the REAL parameters the JBL engineers have programmed. I know for a fact that the slopes are not available in the DRPX & DRPA. There are limiting parameters that are also impossible to duplicate.

• Members

Good decision mate! I was sure suprised at how well a single sub did even for a single acoustic guitar. Keyboards too. Check out the RCF Art subs, 705AS, 902AS and the 905AS. Really nice sounding subs and the later two are pretty lightweight. DB Technologies has some lightwieght subs as well.

Mike Pyle here on the boards can give you some great prices if needed.

Archived