NBD! Ibanez content.

badpenguin

• Members

Saw this in a, surprise, pawn shop, and couldn't say no. Even Mrs. Penguin, who knows I don't play bass much now-a-days, told me to get it.

She's an Ibanez SR250. Basswood, maple, with a "rosewoodish" fret board,34" scale, and 24 frets. I have become a sucker for pearl finishes, and this one is flawless. Issues where it needed a new battery, had to tighten a loose pot, and needed to drop the pickups a bit. Otherwise she was perfect out of the store.

20230512_111944.thumb.jpg.f4203d2c59e552c361f52daab2d13029.jpg

20230512_111954.thumb.jpg.5dfcb8c1c4d506eb4cc54c9a6c3a0411.jpg

20230512_112024.thumb.jpg.4c40206f951cc36cbb864bf5a224be25.jpg

20230512_112031.thumb.jpg.b36017e6b952607d0cf585483b631749.jpg

Now the question is: is it a keeper, or do I flip it? Plays great, sounds great, the 3 band EQ really works well, and it feels real nice in the hands and in the lap. However, arthritis sucks, the left hand KNOWS the drill, but the right hand.... I lost a LOT of my technique, and doubtful I will be getting it back, nor do any gigs requiring bass playing. And if I do, I have a couple of 30" scale basses, and a standard 34 ancient P bass copy. We'll see what happens. Enjoy all!

• Moderators

They are perfectly good basses, and that one looks pristine! Won't ask what you paid, but if you don't play bass much...I'd suggest flipping your p-bass copy and keeping this one.

[I only have 2 basses, a p-bass copy I've had for over 40 years, and an acoustic/electric shortscale fretless...why would I need anything else? I only use them for recording  ideas, YMMV]

• Like 1

• Members

Thank you guys! Yeah, the Ibanez was on the inexpensive side of life. And yes DM, you make a good point, but.... how can you kick this beauty to the curb? Made by Ibanez for the Canadian market, and has a telecaster GUITAR neck pickup, with the tele 3 screw plate, as the pickup for a bass? I mean, wood, maple, tortoise shell, and chrome. I mean CHROME!!!! (And cheap too! With a hardcase. Whispers.... like 50 bucks cheap.)

licoln.thumb.jpg.2f31b4a8cfc200d24dbe697066fca257.jpg

• Moderators

The white one probably sounds better.
Certainly more versatile.
But the other has an undeniable cool factor!

As for the pickup, a guitar pickup in a bass is nothing new. Rickenbacker has been doing it since the 50s. There's really very little difference between a guitar pickup and a bass pickup. Number of pole pieces, mainly, and even that doesn't make much difference, if any.

• Like 1