Charles - JH Teacher

• Members

Hello,

I teach theatre at small school. Almost no budget and no tech help, so please do not laugh too hard at what we have to work with :-). Any adice greatly appreciated. The school purchased a budget sound board mixer (Depensheng DX16 DJ Sound Controller) and Alphasonik All-in-one 12" Powered 1500W PRO DJ Amplified Loud Speakers . 

Need to run connection between the two about 75 feet (whichever way we connect - the connecting chord will be taped to floor as we are performing in a cafeteria). The soundboard has a couple output methods XLR out (L and R), Mixed output interface "line" jacks (larger L and R), Aux Jack (single) and Headphone Jack (single). The loudspeakers have a couple options for in . A single xlr input (Would I just pick one of the L or R out from the soundboard xlr out?), analog rca jacks (L and R input - but speakers ultimtely only output mono), or small aux input.

My question as total amature is  - of the options above, what would be the best way to connect with such a distance? RCA adapters on the L and R interface "line" out jacks to the RCA speaker IN jacks was working up close - but seems flimsy over such a distance (and not sure if would have power to do so). Seems like XLR would be most durable cable option - but how d I go from L and R out ot just the single input on the speaker?

Appreciate any expert wisdom willing to share.

• Moderators
On 4/23/2023 at 7:26 AM, Schuby99 said:

Hello,

I teach theatre at small school. Almost no budget and no tech help, so please do not laugh too hard at what we have to work with :-). Any adice greatly appreciated. The school purchased a budget sound board mixer (Depensheng DX16 DJ Sound Controller) and Alphasonik All-in-one 12" Powered 1500W PRO DJ Amplified Loud Speakers . 

Need to run connection between the two about 75 feet (whichever way we connect - the connecting chord will be taped to floor as we are performing in a cafeteria). The soundboard has a couple output methods XLR out (L and R), Mixed output interface "line" jacks (larger L and R), Aux Jack (single) and Headphone Jack (single). The loudspeakers have a couple options for in . A single xlr input (Would I just pick one of the L or R out from the soundboard xlr out?), analog rca jacks (L and R input - but speakers ultimtely only output mono), or small aux input.

My question as total amature is  - of the options above, what would be the best way to connect with such a distance? RCA adapters on the L and R interface "line" out jacks to the RCA speaker IN jacks was working up close - but seems flimsy over such a distance (and not sure if would have power to do so). Seems like XLR would be most durable cable option - but how d I go from L and R out ot just the single input on the speaker?

Appreciate any expert wisdom willing to share.

Not laughing at all...I will try to explain this in terms you will understand and avoid all the typical jargon .

A picture of the output panel would be helpful...but you are on the right track.

Use the XLR cable connections, as over a distance of 75 feet you will experience noticeable signal loss and degradation with the RCA connections as you surmised. 

You did say "Alphasonik All-in-one 12" Powered 1500W PRO DJ Amplified Loud Speakers" so I take that to mean two speakers.  Each speaker will get either a left or right channel input, your decision as to which is which, as the designations are for use when panning channels, so if everything on each channel on the board is set straight up/centered, the output on each channel will be identical. The left/right are useful if you are panning left to right during the performance or biasing the channel pans to simulate the stage arrangement, otherwise they won't matter much to the audience.

You might want to consider getting a wireless transmission system [XLR connection] similar to this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Stealth1Pr--alto-stealth-1-wireless-system-pair, which would save you having to run all that cable and taping it down.

The RCA line outs typically are for connecting to something like an outboard recorder, not speakers. The outputs should be labeled as 'line out' or 'speaker out'.