Wow, what happened to this place?

knotty

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 4/15/2023 at 4:20 PM, mikesr1963 said:

Covid took a lot of us.  Time to rebuild.  Stronger! Faster!  Better than before!  

It’s not the China Virus that that hurt this place but rather poor management over several years .

• 3 months later...
  • Members

In addition to ownership change, etc, single login message boards are kind of dated now. These days it feels like subreddits, Slack channels, and Discord servers are the way to go. And even then, you have to have have active users. I've been doing some research on Discord servers.to try and figure out what makes for a thriving community versus a dead one. It's not as simple as lots of registered users, that's for sure.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I teach information systems and business marketing at a college. The topic of forums came up and I was telling my students about HC and decided to log in and show them. First time back in a while (years). I replied to a couple of posts and have checked back since to check on activity. There just doesn't seem to be any traffic. It really seems like that management tried and succeeded in running everyone off. 

• Like 2

• Members
2 hours ago, seven58 said:

I teach information systems and business marketing at a college. The topic of forums came up and I was telling my students about HC and decided to log in and show them. First time back in a while (years). I replied to a couple of posts and have checked back since to check on activity. There just doesn't seem to be any traffic. It really seems like that management tried and succeeded in running everyone off. 

Yeah, the management, the "upgrades" that tossed a lot of peoples posts and reviews into the trash bin, all worked against this place. The mods however... been working their collective a$$'s off, keeping it alive and in check. They don't get enough credit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, badpenguin said:

Yeah, the management, the "upgrades" that tossed a lot of peoples posts and reviews into the trash bin, all worked against this place. The mods however... been working their collective a$$'s off, keeping it alive and in check. They don't get enough credit.

Thanks, bp. We certainly don't get paid enough....😉

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 10/26/2023 at 11:14 AM, badpenguin said:

I almost left this place multiple times due to harsh moderation in Political Party. Anton doesn't run it like that. He's fair and friendly. By comparison, the old days were like a Southern Baptist convention.

Political Party wasn't/isn't even visible to non-members, so why was there a desire to sanitize it in every conceivable way?

When I first came to HC I was blown away by the rank humor. It was so entertaining, in a smart way. That's what I miss here. The crowd was younger back then.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Hoot Owl said:

I almost left this place multiple times due to harsh moderation in Political Party. Anton doesn't run it like that. He's fair and friendly. By comparison, the old days were like a Southern Baptist convention.

Political Party wasn't/isn't even visible to non-members, so why was there a desire to sanitize it in every conceivable way?

When I first came to HC I was blown away by the rank humor. It was so entertaining, in a smart way. That's what I miss here. The crowd was younger back then.

we were younger then....:wave:

• Haha 1