Drop d tuning

lore

• Members

So, I'm having a problem when I drop the e to the d . When I lower the e string, I'm having oscillation issues.

If I tune back up to e, the note rings perfectly and the tuner needle doesn't move. If I drop the d there is an oscillation you can see the tuner needle moving slightly up and then back down. I've tried to change string gauge on the e string with larger gauges. Same issue. I've tried putting my pickups all the way down in case of magnetic pull. Still same issue. Then I thought of intonation it was off a bit when I dropped the d, but I fixed that with a slight adjustment. How can this be possible? The open string is oscillating when the e is dropped to a d note.?

• Moderators

Sounds to me like the tuner is having an issue? What kind of tuner is it? If it is a 'simple' tuner, or one with multiple instrument settings, it may be having difficulty locking on the low D note, as it is an octave lower than the D note it usually reads....I have a Fender tuner that is 'finicky' like that.

• Like 1

• Members
12 minutes ago, daddymack said:

Sounds to me like the tuner is having an issue? What kind of tuner is it? If it is a 'simple' tuner, or one with multiple instrument settings, it may be having difficulty locking on the low D note, as it is an octave lower than the D note it usually reads....I have a Fender tuner that is 'finicky' like that.

That just may be. I know the cheapest tuner I have works better than the others for intonation. 

• Members

On my guitars, I find with distortion - as you probably have in drop tunings, fourths and fifths need to be very close to the overtone series or the overblown harmonics will object adamantly. Thirds need to be on the dark side as well and probably be way out to your ears. If you use your standard guitar tuner, the thirds and even octaves will be brightened up. Needless to say, powerchords will beat mechanically. You may have to go with a custom just intonation. IOW for the key you're in and avoid clashy voicings.