'Splain this to me Lucy....

• Members

From their website.....

"The state-of-the-art performance of The Essence has been taken to the next level! With refined geometry, improved materials and processing including cryogenic treatment to -300 degrees F, what you'll hear is more of everything that you've come to expect. True-to-live dynamics and transient speed, extended frequency response, more soundstage realism and resolution, and harmonic intergity that transports you to the original event. Hearing is believing!"

I'm going to have this stuff installed from my livingroom all the way back to the power plant. THEN it will sound awesome. :)

• CMS Author

I'm surprised Monster hasn't sued them yet.....doesn't Monster own the patent on outrageously expensive passive cabling that promises outrageously increased sound and power????

No, Monster has the exclusive rights to the word "Monster", regardless of use. In fact, you and I both now owe Monster a licensing fee for using the word in these posts. Each time I write "Monster", I hear a cash register go 'cha-ching'. There it goes again....

• Members

Hey, who are we to dispute Victor Wooten?? He says he can hear a difference.

Anything for a dollar.

That caught my eye as well craig . I really like victor wooten's playing and work, one of my favorites. But I see this and it truely makes me sad.

• Members

That $8.00 cord is more than adequate.

What I don't see is any mention of it being a UL-listed cordset. They mention "approved to..." and stick a UL article number in parens, but nowhere can I find whether they've spent the money to have the thing certified. It would be hilarious to see some wanker get his show shut down by the Code Enforcement dude because his zillion-dollar cables aren't UL...

How anyone who fancies themselves a student of audio (we're talking audiophiles) and is dumb enough to think that 6 feet of wire in a chain of circuits that is ultimately miles and possibly hundreds of miles long could matter at all is beyond my comprehension. Massive stupidity.

Damn....I just spent my tax refund on a few of these. The salesman told me that my Tandy/Realistic sound system will sound like a 10,000 watt line array. Line arrays are expensive so this cable is actually a good buy...

http://www.grantfidelity.com/site/UP-OCC2

• Members

That $8.00 cord is more than adequate.

What I don't see is any mention of it being a UL-listed cordset. They mention "approved to..." and stick a UL article number in parens, but nowhere can I find whether they've spent the money to have the thing certified. It would be hilarious to see some wanker get his show shut down by the Code Enforcement dude because his zillion-dollar cables aren't UL...

UL817 is quite basic.

1 Scope

1.1 These requirements cover power-supply cords for use as supply connections for appliances in accordance with the National Electrical Code.

1.2 These requirements also cover cord sets for use in extending a branch circuit supply to the power-supply cord of a portable appliance by means of flexible cord in accordance with the National Electrical Code.

1.3 When a specific section makes reference to a general section, and there is a conflict of requirements, the requirements of the specific section shall apply.

1.4 Unless otherwise noted, cord sets and power-supply cords shall be considered to be intended for indoor use.

1.5 Deleted June 24, 2003

Hospital Grade Attachment Plugs

1.6 The requirements in Sections 106 - 113 cover molded-on attachment plugs intended for hospital use in other than hazardous locations in accordance with Article 517 of the National Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA 70. They are applicable only to nonlocking type devices of conventional configuration ( Standard for Wiring Devices - Dimensional RequirementsANSI/NEMA WD 6) rated 15 or 20 A, 125 or 250 V. Attachment plugs shall be of the straight type (longitudinal axis of flexible cord parallel to that of the line blades), or right angle type (longitudinal axis of flexible cord at right angle to that of the line blades), molded onto flexible cord.

1.6 revised May 18, 2005

How anyone who fancies themselves a student of audio (we're talking audiophiles) and is dumb enough to think that 6 feet of wire in a chain of circuits that is ultimately miles and possibly hundreds of miles long could matter at all is beyond my comprehension. Massive stupidity.

I'll buy that for a dollar.

• Members

That's only the scope. You have to buy the article from UL. Nothing is free from them, just ask dboomer, he'll tell you...

Understood but I'll bet a dollar to a donut hole those requirements listed in the scope are what the cords meet, in regards to UL817. Otherwise the UL Listed statement and probably the logo would be plastered all over the site.

I would guess a large number of their sales are going to audiophiles who are also purchasing the $100.00 per foot speaker wire, stand off spacers & etc.

• CMS Author

Understood but I'll bet a dollar to a donut hole those requirements listed in the scope are what the cords meet, in regards to UL817. Otherwise the UL Listed statement and probably the logo would be plastered all over the site.

I would guess a large number of their sales are going to audiophiles who are also purchasing the $100.00 per foot speaker wire, stand off spacers & etc.

They aren't going to anyone with common sense and a little bit of knowledge.

• Members

Guitar Player magazine reviewed this product, or a similar one, a few months back.

An excellent read, to show how a magazine that accepts advertising deals with a bogus product. The review made the point about miles of cable on the other side of the wall outlet, but equivocated about whether they could hear a difference.

As far as the hospital connectors go, this is obviously a low infection-transmission connecting device.

I don't actually know how they're different, but I can imagine that consumer grade connectors wouldn't stand up to a hospital environment, with lots of movement of gear.

• Members

So, how would "hospital grade" connectors be a benefit? Does anybody know what the real differences are between hospital, commercial, spec. grades?

This kind of snake oil makes me ill.

The green dot?

What I've noticed are sturdier components in hospital grade plugs and connectors, housings, spades, wire connectors & etc. to the standard grade stuff you see at Home Depot. I don't know that there are any structural differences between hospital and commercial/industrial grade stuff other than possibly wire gauge specs and possibly the connector inspection windows that are on some hospital grade plugs.

Other than that, price.

Archived