What Mic do you recommend for live mic'ing a Fender Deluxe Reverb?

• Members

I'm sorry i totally disagree
agedhorse
. The grille at the top of a 57 is flimsy and if the mic happens to fall drop to the floor head first it will break. This happened to me when a Drum clip for a rack tom came loose and fell.

I have seen numerous engineers tape forks to the ends of there 57's to avoid this happening, so maybe I'm not the only one who thinks they have a flaw.
:rolleyes:

Are the forks used to prevent the grill from rattling? I have some older 57s that have an audible noise when subjected to higher SPLs.

Any other way to solve this? Does anyone know why on earth those grills are designed to rotate?

• CMS Author

Are the forks used to prevent the grill from rattling? I have some older 57s that have an audible noise when subjected to higher SPLs.

Any other way to solve this? Does anyone know why on earth those grills are designed to rotate?

They simply snap off and on, and so they'll spin. A tiny dab of clear silicone caulk will stop the spin and the rattle.

• Members

If you can hit the endcap of a -57 with a drumstick, it's either positioned at the drum wrong or you play weird.
;):p
:lol:

I don't disagree with that at all.

I guess I could always say: "if they're good enough for Steve Gadd, they should be good enough for you", but then again Steve Gadd could have mics made of balsa wood, positioned an 1/8 inch above his drum heads and not have a problem. :lol:

• Members

Hey, MANY THANKS all for the great inputs on this! I'm even thinking about trying the deep-fried twinkees and cockroaches (more protein, less fat in the cockroaches I'd imagine).

I understand about the mic placement effects as we've done a bit of recording and can hear that in the setup. We have a sound engineer who cares about our mix and is pretty good at dialing us in. But you're right, you gotta hear how it sounds out in the crowd as its definitely different than on-stage. And, I'm probably guilty of having too much treble dialed in on my guitar/amp..I gotta watch that. We haven' tried going fully ampless successfully yet (via DI boxes). Too many of us are too old school with our sound, and rely on the amp for some of that. I've had good luck with Shure, but I plan to check out all the suggestions before I make a final choice. Thanks again, everyone. MUCH appreciated.

• Members

What is up with people deep frying twinkies? That just seems nasty to me!
:facepalm:

Hey I live in Texas and apparantly almost anything can be deep fried.Last month I was down on the coast in a Mexican restraunt where they served deep fried avocados with a couple of choices of stuffing.Didn't try it but it sounded interesting.Twinkies and various candy bars fried seem to show up at the State Fair.

• Members

I'm sorry i totally disagree
agedhorse
. The grille at the top of a 57 is flimsy and if the mic happens to fall drop to the floor head first it will break. This happened to me when a Drum clip for a rack tom came loose and fell.

I have seen numerous engineers tape forks to the ends of there 57's to avoid this happening, so maybe I'm not the only one who thinks they have a flaw.
:rolleyes:

Ummmm, this is supposed to happen if you are careless enough to something like drop the mic face first on the floor. The grille on a SM-57 is floating and is held on by a floating circumferential spring under the side vent grille. This has limits that protectthe diaphram from the underside of the phase assy. It comes apart under excessive abuse to (help) protect the diaphgram. It's easily repaired if you know what you are doing and especially if you have the service tool.

Incidently, the grille on the 58 is designed to dent to absorb energy from a fall too. This allows for a different type of isolation of the element. This was changed on the Beta 58 which uses more of a spring steel grille and allows the element to move under acceleration. The 57 does not share the same construction as the Beta's because there is very little clearance between the diaphragm and the phase assy.

So, IMO it's an exquisite design that has stood the test of time. Wjhat would happen if you dropped a sample of the I5 face first on the floor? My experience tells me it would not fare any better and maybe worse.

Archived