What Mic do you recommend for live mic'ing a Fender Deluxe Reverb?

• Members

Our 7 member band has begun mic'ing everything when we perform live now that we have a capable mixer/PA for this. I share lead and rhythm guitar parts with another guitarist, and I play through a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI. Any recommendations for the best mic choice for mic'ing this? We're just using cheap Nady vocal mic's at the moment.

• Members

I'd actually get an Audix i5 over an SM57 simply because they are better built.

.....SM57 is as durable as they come. You may prefer another over the 57 for a particular sound or name, but not because their not built well!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 57 is an all around all purpose mic, vocals,instruments,whatever!!

Thanks for the sound clips,but to me they sounded the same.

• Members

at a point it's almost ridiculous to think any one mic mates with a type of amp better. if the player's tone is whacked out then as an engineer i'll be simply doing damage control to a get a decent tone over the PA and at that point almost any mic is fine. In my experience most guitar players tones are way to brittle, too bright. If one's ears were down on their shins, perhaps that would change. 57, i5, senny, heil, AT, beyer..all fine. my all-time fave mic is the Beyer M160 but I just don't bring them too often to most of the local'ish gigs.

any mic i would have in my collection would be built well enough to continue using and bringing, so, how well it's made is of little consideration. it's grab something and get the show running.

• Members

If you're running sound from stage it might be more important to know what your amp and miced amp sound like out front.

I often "have" to run sound from stage. One day I set up my whole PA and guitar amp. Set up a 57, and spent an hour or so messing with my guitar tone, mic placement and channel strip (not too much) to come up with a template/starting place for my guitar - at a nice leisurely pace without bar managers and patrons freaking out.

Seems to have worked for me anyway.

• Members

mic placement will have as much effect on the tone as does the mic itself. Many mics are good for guitar, hell I've even used a cheap nady tom mic in a pinch.

57's, 609s, EV 408's, Shure beta 57's, SM7's, AT3035, 4030, KSM109, PL20, PV45, senn MD421... So many more, I do prefer the 57's and 609s because of cost, durability and I know they'll sound good on whatever.

For a decent 57 knock off I like the SHS OM450 and there is an OSP which is pretty decent too. I can't really tell the difference and all have held up as well as the 57.

• Members

I'm sorry i totally disagree agedhorse. The grille at the top of a 57 is flimsy and if the mic happens to fall drop to the floor head first it will break. This happened to me when a Drum clip for a rack tom came loose and fell.

I have seen numerous engineers tape forks to the ends of there 57's to avoid this happening, so maybe I'm not the only one who thinks they have a flaw.:rolleyes:

• CMS Author

I'm sorry i totally disagree
agedhorse
. The grille at the top of a 57 is flimsy and if the mic happens to fall drop to the floor head first it will break. This happened to me when a Drum clip for a rack tom came loose and fell.

I have seen numerous engineers tape forks to the ends of there 57's to avoid this happening, so maybe I'm not the only one who thinks they have a flaw.
:rolleyes:

If you did the same drop test with any other mic, something's going to either dent or crack, OR the cartridge will take the sudden acceleration and be damaged. This is sometimes observed later as a change in the mic's "tone". Nothing is indestructible, except perhaps a cockroach or a Twinkie.;)

Archived