• Members

Need to make a long run about 100ft or more. Am I safe to use a 1/4in coupler to put a few cables together or do I need to just get a 100ft cable. This is for a one time setup for about 30mins of music. I guess it comes down to: Can I get away with possibly buying a coupler for $10 or do I have to purchase a 100 footer for $70? Not sure if they even sell 1/4in couplers that are speaker cable grade.

btw... these are 16 gauge 1/4 to 1/4 speaker cables carrying about 200watts into 8ohms

Your thoughts and opinions much appreciated.

• CMS Author

If it was a long-term need I'd absolutely agree with GCDEF. But for a half hour one-off, use a barrel connector and gaff the connections together. This is conditional based on keeping the cable thoroughly out of harm's way. Meaning NOT on the ground at all, kept bone dry, and especially not around any form of foot traffic.

• Members

If it was a long-term need I'd absolutely agree with GCDEF. But for a half hour one-off, use a barrel connector and gaff the connections together. This is conditional based on keeping the cable thoroughly out of harm's way. Meaning NOT on the ground at all, kept bone dry, and especially not around any form of foot traffic.

The only time I tried a connector it was an unmitigated failure. Lots of noise and signal cutting in and out. At least test it before the show.

• CMS Author

The only time I tried a connector it was an unmitigated failure. Lots of noise and signal cutting in and out. At least test it before the show.

Shure's barrel jacks work okay. YMMV with Chinese knockoffs, or something your brother in-law found in the road and gave to you thinking you now "owe him".....;)

• Members

I suggest buying the good 100ft. 12-3 117V AC extension cord you've always wanted and needed anyway. Cut the molded ends off, and replace them with speaker connector ends (hopefully you can use Speakon ends) for the gig... Then remove the speaker connector ends and put some good spec grade 117V AC ends back on the extension cord when you're done with the gig.

• Members

I suggest buying the good 100ft. 12-3 117V AC extension cord you've always wanted and needed anyway. Cut the molded ends off, and replace them with speaker connector ends (hopefully you can use Speakon ends) for the gig... Then remove the speaker connector ends and put some good spec grade 117V AC ends back on the extension cord when you're done with the gig.

I think it best not to mention the 1/4" to edison adapters I have around here somewhere. Oops, did I say that out loud?

:freak:

• Members

Best suggestion so far. You could end up with two 50' AC extension cables, always handy things to have.

• Members

Don't give people ideas...

Death trap waiting to happen.

How is it a death trap?

Forward wired, male end to the amp... adaptors firmly gaff taped on... what can happen? So, somebody unwraps the gaff tape (like nobody's gonna notice that) and wanders around till they can find an outlet (like nobody's gonna notice that) and plugs the speaker in to 117v AC? (like nobody's gonna notice that). A nominal 8 ohm speaker cabinet will draw somewhere around 1,700 watts across a 117V AC outlet. Yea... it should produce about 140dB of 60Hz (like nobody's gonna notice that) for awhile and then go "poof"... depending on the speaker.

Folks throw 1,700 watts to 8 ohm speakers all the time... so where's the death trap waiting to happen?

• CMS Author

How is it a death trap?

Forward wired, male end to the amp... adaptors firmly gaff taped on... what can happen? So, somebody unwraps the gaff tape (like nobody's gonna notice that) and wanders around till they can find an outlet (like nobody's gonna notice that) and plugs the speaker in to 117v AC? (like nobody's gonna notice that). A nominal 8 ohm speaker cabinet will draw somewhere around 1,700 watts across a 117V AC outlet. Yea... it should produce about 140dB of 60Hz (like nobody's gonna notice that) for awhile and then go "poof"... depending on the speaker.

Folks throw 1,700 watts to 8 ohm speakers all the time... so where's the death trap waiting to happen?

1,700 watts was just a warmup for the HF section for Matt Vivlamore.

• Members

I definately wouldn't recommend the lash-up for 1/4", but Speakons... eh? I don't see a problem... especially since Powercons aren't really any different cept for the pole keys... well maybe they are but the differences aren't very apparent.

• Members

uh... most HF drivers are 16 ohms, which would only draw somewhere around 850 watts across 117V AC... but I doubt they'd handle the 60Hz thing very well.... depends on the non polar HP cap in-line I suppose.

• Members

I definately wouldn't recommend the lash-up for 1/4", but Speakons... eh? I don't see a problem... especially since Powercons aren't really any different cept for the pole keys... well maybe they are but the differences aren't very apparent.

I agree with speakons being more safe (you might fry an amp, but you wouldn't fry yourself so easily) it's the quarter inch socket I'd be worried about.

• Members
A nominal 8 ohm speaker cabinet will draw somewhere around 1,700 watts across a 117V AC outlet. Yea... it should produce about 140dB of 60Hz (like nobody's gonna notice that) for awhile and then go "poof"... depending on the speaker.

I heard of someone accidentally doing this to a home stereo speaker they had "extended" with household 2 wire extension cords - didn't last long :eek:! BTW you can extend stereo speakers over one 3 wire cable if the amp has a common minus for both channels ;).

Archived