Advice for broken fingers and difficulty with movement

• Members

Hi, I just wanted to get some opinions please. I recently broke my middle and ring fingers on my left hand along with dislocations after a dog attack (please don't ask, it wasn't mine or the dogs fault). Anyway, my hand is feeling like it's healed as much as it will but I have a bit of restricted movement. When moving from my pinky to ring finger for example if pulling off a note, there's zero dexterity there and it's very painful. Moving from ring finger to middle is fine and pinky to middle is fine also. Is it acceptable to cut down on pinky finger use whilst doing fast shreddy runs or should I fight the pain, slow down and re-learn to play? It's really bothering me and I feel like I'm cutting corners by using three fingers where I used to use four.

• Moderators

Each injury is unique, but I have sustained numerous injuries to both hands over the years, from full dislocations [both fore fingers] a near amputation*[LH pinky] and innumerable fractures and a crushed left thumb and crushed fingertip [RH pinky]...do not get discouraged.

Yes, you basically have lost all the muscle memory and likely added scar tissue, may have nerve damage, and so on...but with a solid practice regimen, you can get most of your dexterity back.

To be fair I do not consider myself a 'shredder', but I do play lead, and fingerstyle.

Forget what is considered 'acceptable', and find what will still work for your condition.  You will need to make some adjustments to accommodate the lasting effects, but it is do-able. I took solace in the thought that Django Rheinhardt still outplays me with only two fingers...

* I was told by the ER MD that I would never get back any dexterity in that pinky...but I proved him wrong...it took a few years though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks, your reply is reassuring. I'm still getting some improvements but I'm lifting my fingers higher off the fretboard than I used to because the joints aren't moving like they used to. You've given me encouragement so thank you. Heartbreakingly it was my dog who attacked me, he had dementia and was very confused. 

• Moderators

sorry about your dog......sadly he likely will get worse over time, while your dexterity should improve.

It comes down to your practice regimen, how you adapt to the physical restrictions the injury has put in place and ...well...time.

Slowing down to retrain your fingers is the better course of action rather than demanding three do the work of four....IMHO.

Listen to the pain, it is telling you something...but do not give in to it. Work around it, work through it...but work it.