PA speaker upgrade

• Members

I play in a cover band and run our own PA.

lately the gigs weve been getting are a bit bigger than what my PA is good for so I'm chasing suggestions for speaker upgrades.

currently I run 2x Wharfedale SVP15P subs and 2x Tapco thump tops.

I run these thru a crossover.

I was thinking of getting 2x more Tapco thumps and sitting them on poles off the subs and running them fullrange . (the other thumps would only be running above 120K and are on stands)

or maybe get some better active 12" and horn speakers and use them for the tops, and use the thumps I have as suggested above.

thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

• Members

You are in a place where you will probably be better off selling what you have and buying new, powered speakers that are more appropriate for your needs. The cost won't be all that much more than adding to the pile you already have but the results, size, weight, hassle and performance will be better. I would look at something like the JBL PRX-512 with 518 subs as a good upgrade (like doubling what you have right now) or the next step up might be the VRX-900 series, you might also look at the comparable Yorkville product as well.

Then, your upgrae path is pretty well defined as it's easy to add to the PRX or Yorkville products because the performance is already pretty predictable and scalable.

• Members

The cost won't be all that much more than adding to the pile you already have but the results, size, weight, hassle and performance will be better.

I agree the results, size, weight, hassle and performance will probably be better.

But there is no way that the cost will be comparable.

I just got a price on the PRX gear you suggested , to get the two tops and two subs I will be up for over $8000 (australian):eek:

I would be lucky to get $1800 for the speakers I have 2nd hand

I can buy the Thumps for $699 new here.

I have a budget of $2500 tops

would a JBL EON or a mackie SRM series be that much better than the thumps ? as they are more than twice the price

• Members

Try 2 more Thumps and see how that works.

Your country has artificial pricing controls (read as taxation) on products depending on politics and country of orgin. I didn't realize how skewed the costs are. Yes the PRX will cost more but they are WAY better. That much better, I don't know.

Archived