Yamaha vs. Peavey Monitors?

• Members

Hi folks,

I'm in a small classic rock band, we just putz around and have fun. We've currently got a Yamaha EMX512SC powered mixer, and a pair of BR15 mains. I want to pick up three monitirs, and am looking at the Peavey PV12M, Yamaha A12M & Yamaha BR12M's as possibilities.

What are your collective thoughts on theses choices? We don't need super great stuff, the Peaveys get good reviews, are around $200, the Yamaha A12 M's are4 on sale for less, and the BR12M's are a little more expensive...

Thanks for any input!

• Members

How are you planning on running the three monitors? The Yamaha EMX512SC is designed to handle 4 ohms minimum per channel. Assuming you'll be using one channel to run front of house and one channel for the monitors, three 8 ohm monitors will put you below the 4 ohm minimum. It's really only designed to run two monitors and two front of house.

If you decide to run two monitors, have you considered using your current BR15s as the monitors and upgrading your front of house? If you can swing the money, that might be the better approach.

• Members

Don't waste your $$ on any of those. Yamaha SM12V's are $254.92 each +shipping from Northern Sound. They are entry level and decent. In a pinch we once hired a "sound company" that used BR monitors. They didn't come close to cutting it for a rock band that knows how to control stage volume. I can't conceive putting a band thru BR mains.

• Members

How are you planning on running the three monitors? The Yamaha EMX512SC is designed to handle 4 ohms minimum per channel. Assuming you'll be using one channel to run front of house and one channel for the monitors, three 8 ohm monitors will put you below the 4 ohm minimum. It's really only designed to run two monitors and two front of house.

If you decide to run two monitors, have you considered using your current BR15s as the monitors and upgrading your front of house? If you can swing the money, that might be the better approach.

We've borrowed monitors in the past, and would run one from each of the two outputs of the monitor channel, and daisy chain the other from one of those two. What would be the correct way to use more than two monitors out of an amp like that? Thanks!

• Members

Don't waste your $$ on any of those. Yamaha SM12V's are $254.92 each +shipping from Northern Sound. They are entry level and decent. In a pinch we once hired a "sound company" that used BR monitors. They didn't come close to cutting it for a rock band that knows how to control stage volume. I can't conceive putting a band thru BR mains.

Yes, I know.......we're using a cheapo PA....but it's been okay for what we've been doing! Three of us are in our 50's, have been playing for over 30 years, and just doing this as a fun project, we only play out once a month or so, private parties, some little bars in the Capital District. We've had no complaints about our sound! If we get serious, we'll upgrade....

• CMS Author

You can start the upgrade path now and avoid wasting money on reselling and buying better gear. Have a look at the Club 12" as Dangordan suggests, or the Peavey SP12M. It's not that much more money to get significantly better speakers.

If it seems foolish to have better wedges than FOH, consider that most of your feedback issues will stem from floor wedges and it's usually due to uneven response that's typical in a 'bargain' cabinet.

• Members

We've borrowed monitors in the past, and would run one from each of the two outputs of the monitor channel, and daisy chain the other from one of those two. What would be the correct way to use more than two monitors out of an amp like that? Thanks!

There really is no correct way to run three monitors off of one channel of that amp. The ohm load of three 8 ohm monitors is only 2.7 ohms, well below the rated 4 ohms. You've obviously been lucky so far, but the amp could be damaged if you keep doing it.

There is a "Monitor Out" (+4 dBu) on the EMX512SC. My recommendation would be to run two monitors off of the one monitor channel, and hook a powered speaker up to the "Monitor Out" jack for the third monitor. This approach will protect the amp from being damaged.

• Members

Not a good idea, you are dropping the load on the mixer-amp to below what the amp's rated for and this could cause you grief down the road.

I too would suggest the Yamaha SM's, the BR's are a waste of money for the most part. The cost difference is small but the performance difference is quite large.

• Members

Thanks, you guys!! I can't believe we haven't damaged the amp, what fools we've been....I've always been careful about what cabs I'm driving with my bass amp, but just never thought about the PA much....yikes!!

Archived