15 vs 31 Channel Sterio EQ

• Members

Looking at buying a new EQ for our practice/small club PA rig and debating with myself over a 15 or 31 stereo EQ...

Pro's? Cons? I'm leaning towards a 31 realizing there may be bands that I wouldn't use much, if at all. Also feel that come resale time, a 31 may be easier to part with and hold it's value a little better?

Interested in opinions.

Thanks!

• Members

Looking at buying a new EQ for our practice/small club PA rig and debating with myself over a 15 or 31 stereo EQ...

Pro's? Cons? I'm leaning towards a 31 realizing there may be bands that I wouldn't use much, if at all. Also feel that come resale time, a 31 may be easier to part with and hold it's value a little better?

Interested in opinions.

Thanks!

What are you using it for?

In general. For feedback control get the 31, for sound shaping (front of house) get the 15. Why do you think you need an eq?

• Members

It's not how much EQ you have, it's how you use it (or how you don't use it).

Resale time? Why would you ever need to resell an EQ? Buy it. Keep it. There is no selling it. It just sits in the rack until you need it. Hopefully you'll never need it. But when you do, you'll be damn glad you have it to notch out a problem frequency in a hurry. What matters about a 31 band isn't so much how many bands it has, it's how narrow the bands are: the Q. They are narrow, so you can cut out a little without affecting much around it. The ones with built-in spectrum analyzers and feedback indicators are cool, but I've never paid the extra buck for them because I learned the bands the hard way: ear training.

For sound shaping I prefer a multi-band fully parametric EQ. But just because this kind of EQ is much more powerful doesn't mean I get rid of the 31 band. Having all those faders nearby for quick notching it still worth having it in the rack. Normally they're flat. I like the ones with the LEDs so that they look pretty. But I'm quick to swat anyone nearby who feels drawn to the lights. Anyone making a smiley face out of the faders gets a kick in the arse. Most of the time the EQ is flat and punched out of the path.

• Members

Why would anybody sell an eq???

I just sold 6 used eq's... sometimes it's time to part with a piece of gear when it's time to move on. 1/3 octave eq's generally have a higher resale value and are more useful as a tool for eliminating feedback. Resale value means a lot to me.

• Members

Why would anybody sell an eq???

I just sold 6 used eq's... sometimes it's time to part with a piece of gear when it's time to move on. 1/3 octave eq's generally have a higher resale value and are more useful as a tool for eliminating feedback. Resale value means a lot to me.

Move on to what? Another career? :)

My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek, although I do hate selling any gear that I can still use at some point. I do probably collect too much in storage, but I view it as my redundant backup gear.

• Members

Move on to what? Another career?
:)

Well yeah sometimes folks decide gigging's not all that much fun, or move to IEM's, or upgrade to a digital console, or decide that playing out isn't much fun anymore, or recording's more your bag, or whatever. Something happens to millions of pieces of gear each year, doesn't make much sense to throw it away does it?

Archived