Dumblesque OD Pedal Sought...

ksl

• Members

Greetings,    After a brief but thorough YT search, I'm super drawn to the original Vertex Ultraphonix Overdrive V1, 3 knobs... the MKII is also attractive but I like simple & effective... What I'm not certain of is if these are starting off on a Clean platform, & that pedal is the source of that cool harmonic grunge, & that it's not just a boost that's pushing a clipping amp into further OD... My platform will be be squeaky glean & I want thebpedaplvtp to it's thing on its own....

And if it takes a 9v battery... I'm getting mixed answers from the Ebay & Reverb seller,,, So either tiger toast or Vertex changed it up???  The Beekeeper is also cool, but mire that I care to spend, & way too many controls..

Any help is gratefully accepted, & my cap is under 200 bucks, & battery powered would be nice,& let's focus on this particular original MKI version on the left...Screenshot_20220511-161653_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ed6aa91fe98a48f67cfba921bbc94eff.jpg

Thnx in advance 🕉

Edited by ksl

• Members

This may be painfully obvious and insulting but the value of ODs is very much a function of the quality of your playing; IMO more so with those Dumblers. Also Dumble built amps to suit the individual player's comfort zone. I'd say just buy it and see if it does anything for you.

• Members

57 minutes ago, 1001gear said:

This may be painfully obvious and insulting but the value of ODs is very much a function of the quality of your playing; IMO more so with those Dumblers. Also Dumble built amps to suit the individual player's comfort zone. I'd say just buy it and see if it does anything for you.

Yes, knowingly & painfully so, & not insulting in the least... But seriously, thanks for the advice, & as 'the man' says "Confidence IS sexy!!"

Screenshot_20220512-203140_YouTube.jpg

Edited by ksl

• Members

Speaking of whatever the prretzuhl minz, Dutch Guitar Dude says the Larry Carlton sound is done by putting a booster after the overdrive. I guess that's how the OD Special works. I tried that configuration and you can get some extra compression/sustain from minimal drive. For the more recognizable Robben Ford grind, I use my Chinese Dumbler straight into the amp.

• Members

OK, I get the no-love Vertex vibe, so of the 9v battery powered pedals:

•MOJO HAND DMBL

•MOJO HAND EXTRA SPECIAL 

•MAD PROFESSOR SIMBLE

•JRAD THE DUDE (v2)

•ROWIN

which is the sure winner going into a clean rig?  All the YT videos are all pumped up, & I'm not sure of their platform.  I want to go from super clean to Dumblesque....Thnx again 

Edited by ksl

• 1 month later...