Have you used Fretwraps string mute before? Thoughts?

davie

• Moderators

I stumbled upon a few videos of guys playing bass with something wrapped around their bass guitar necks.

Apparently they're called FretWraps, which is something I've only recently discovered.

I know people do occasionally use foam pads to mute their bridge, but this seems specifically made for just the neck portion.

Have any of you tried these before? Any thoughts on them and their benefits?

• Moderators

Apparently one purpose is its supposed to stop the unplayed open strings from ringing out. I'm not sure if its a common phenomenon on most basses, but for example when I pluck the D string on my bass and then mute just that single string one second later, I do hear the other strings resonate or hum slightly. Do you guys experience this on your basses too? Or just me? lol

• Moderators

A lot of playing the bass cleanly is learning to mute the strings not being played. I remember it being a challenge when I first started. Now, I do it without thinking. But the portion of the string between the note being fretted and the nut? I don't think I've ever noticed that being a problem. How would the pickups sense it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Guess I'll be the "dissenting opinion." 😋 For recording, especially rock and metal where you're really beating the strings and there's lots of compression and drive, some type of dampening behind the nut helps achieve a clearer sound by eliminating the whistling (for lack of a better word) behind the nut. It's easy to try this yourself without even plugging in. Mute all the strings somewhere on the fretboard with one hand, and strum hard in the usual area by the pickups. You'll hear it.

I've used foam under the strings. But Fretwraps are convenient.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, moshuajusic said:

Guess I'll be the "dissenting opinion." 😋 For recording, especially rock and metal where you're really beating the strings and there's lots of compression and drive, some type of dampening behind the nut helps achieve a clearer sound by eliminating the whistling (for lack of a better word) behind the nut. It's easy to try this yourself without even plugging in. Mute all the strings somewhere on the fretboard with one hand, and strum hard in the usual area by the pickups. You'll hear it.

I've used foam under the strings. But Fretwraps are convenient.

I can see it perhaps being useful for recording, but it seems to me that a bit of foam or a rag would do as well. Also, you say behind the nut, but when I see pics of it, it's actually on the fretboard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 5/11/2022 at 8:19 PM, badpenguin said:

"Supposedly" meant to cut off that high pitch weird harmonic some basses have. A properly cut nut, string trees, or properly wrapped posts would solve the same supposed issues.

NO. It's for dampening open strings that ring out while playing. 

On 5/12/2022 at 2:37 PM, isaac42 said:

A lot of playing the bass cleanly is learning to mute the strings not being played.

Correct, that's what fret wraps are for - to dampen open strings. Putting foam behind the nut is sometimes dones to stop resonances from the headstock from being picked up, but that's a different thing, and is usually only needed if using high gain distortion and loud volume. I did a home recording recently where I ended up improvising my own "fret wrap" with a headband and some rubber bands. It helped clean up the bass guitar recording considerably. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...