Now he tells me

DeepEnd

• Members

Most of you know I play in a praise band and that I've owned the same amp, a Roland Cube 80XL, for years. I started playing electric regularly when a second acoustic guitarist joined the group and there wasn't a second DI box available. When we started streaming services during COVID, the sound guy miced my amp but he just discovered that my amp has a 1/4" line out that he thinks will work better. Again, I've had the amp and played through it regularly for years. Talk about observant. Anyway, in order to use that 1/4" output he'll need--wait for it--a DI box! Business as usual. When I need something it's not available but when the right person wants it, oh, absolutely! Having a second DI box means I'll be able to play my acoustic again but I think I'll wait until Summer is over. I don't want to risk leaving my acoustic in a hot car after church.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, DeepEnd said:

Most of you know I play in a praise band and that I've owned the same amp, a Roland Cube 80XL, for years. I started playing electric regularly when a second acoustic guitarist joined the group and there wasn't a second DI box available. When we started streaming services during COVID, the sound guy miced my amp but he just discovered that my amp has a 1/4" line out that he thinks will work better. Again, I've had the amp and played through it regularly for years. Talk about observant. Anyway, in order to use that 1/4" output he'll need--wait for it--a DI box! Business as usual. When I need something it's not available but when the right person wants it, oh, absolutely! Having a second DI box means I'll be able to play my acoustic again but I think I'll wait until Summer is over. I don't want to risk leaving my acoustic in a hot car after church.

Then, by all means drive yours rather than stealing one....:music024:

Passive DI boxes are not that expensive....

:idea:IIRC, and it has been a while, the Cube 80XL has a line out, a headphone out and a speaker out....have your sound guy try the line out without a DI...does your board have mic pre's?

• Members

You're quite correct. 1/4" external speaker, headphone, and line out jacks. The original excuse--I mean reason--was that there wasn't another channel available--until he needed to mic my amp and then suddenly there was. I don't know what the eventual solution will be. Since the line-out is a 1/4" jack, and the cable run involved is fairly long, I'm simply assuming a DI will be necessary. Anyway, it would be to my benefit it it were.

• Members
21 hours ago, badpenguin said:

I don't know.... this may be a radical concept, but how about..... wait for it.... wait for it..... TRYING the line out?

(This was the same sound guy we all pretty much agreed upon, that he was a moron, right?)

Oh, there's no question we'll try the line out. Who knows? It might work without a DI, maybe something like a 1/4 to xlr adapter is all we'll need. That seems to be what you're suggesting, anyway. As for our sound guy, he's not necessarily a "moron" but maybe more confident in his abilities than he should be. That and somewhat--erm--territorial, as in, "You don't tell me what you need, I decide what you need." Plus, there's some history of resources only being available to a select few.

• Members

That line out/ head phone 1/4 " will work just fine.

I have an old Vox Valuetronix here at the house and have used it. Just line out into the PA or mixing board. 

Personally, I'm ok with sticking a mic in front of the amp. There something about moving air that I really like.

Drive him nuts and do both, then tell him you want a stereo mix in your monitor(s). You know for your church solos.

bmmjuyjncfnimw0bi1xj.jpg

• Members
1 hour ago, Mikeo said:

Drive him nuts and do both, then tell him you want a stereo mix in your monitor(s). You know for your church solos.

Yeah, that would probably do it, LOL. I presume you mean in ear monitors and I don't use them. Nor do I play well enough for solos.

• Members
9 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Yeah, that would probably do it, LOL. I presume you mean in ear monitors and I don't use them. Nor do I play well enough for solos.

Speakers can be in stereo too.

Solo or not.

You could be the guy on the left with the Marshall plexi 1/2 stack and a Fender vibro king, or a Roland Cube.:D

I've played at a few clubs and concerts with stereo monitor mixes. It seems like over kill to me. Who am I kidding I live for over kill. Anything worth doing is worth over doing.:bounce022:

Concert-venue-1024x684.png

• Moderators
18 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Oh, there's no question we'll try the line out. Who knows? It might work without a DI, maybe something like a 1/4 to xlr adapter is all we'll need. That seems to be what you're suggesting, anyway. As for our sound guy, he's not necessarily a "moron" but maybe more confident in his abilities than he should be. That and somewhat--erm--territorial, as in, "You don't tell me what you need, I decide what you need." Plus, there's some history of resources only being available to a select few.

perhaps some Bible study would straighten out that un-Christian attitude.:philpalm:

Remind him he is not loving you the way he loves himself...wait, that may not be the best approach...:rolleyes2:

just go with the Golden Rule