Quilter MicroPro Mach 2 Amp....?

ksl

• Members

Hi all~ Okay, lay it on me,,, As far as cleans go, is it fair to match this up against let's say a Deluxe Reverb, or even a Twin, & able to emulate any tube amp with lots of headroom? I've listened to all the YT's until I'm up all night, but before I try to locate a local dealer, is the amp capable of those sweet Strat 2, 4, positions s

ounds? My only experience with solid state is in the audio'phool' sector, where I had 600wpc from a Classé amp pushing 2 bass towers at 4 ohms....

But since I was 8, it's always been tubes, and I'm looking to see & hear what all the mystique is all about...

The bands I've seen using them sounded excellent, & not at all sterile from my vantage point across a smokey barroom.....

My application would more than likely be to get a nice clean sound w/a 2-12 cabinet, or as a 1x12 combo ... It's overdrive sounds are kinda acceptable but not tubey cool, & SS amps are probably not capable of controlled feedback, right? So that leaves the clean options up for debate in a totally gigable sized footprint... 

Thanks in advance 🕉

• Moderators

I have not tried out the MicroPro yet. But I am a die-hard tube amp guy, and I own a Quilter Aviator head that I actually have gigged [with a 1x12 cab]. I tried SS amps and modelers/profilers for decades and was disappointed repeatedly [Johnson, Line 6, Vox, Marshall, Fender, etc.] or priced out of the game [Kemper]. The Aviator is the first SS amp I have owned that I felt was gig-worthy, and capable of getting me the sounds I hear in my head...particularly 'high clarity' cleans, but also the 'growl'. That said, I would likely not use it for hard rock gigs, because my tube amps [Fender, Vox, Blackstar] have that covered, but the Quilter covers a lot of the same territory while providing that high headroom clean if you need it. If you need the 'controlled feedback' thing, there are plenty of pedals that can supply that for you.

• Members

Thanks DaddyM,, It sounds like a rather solid endorsement, especially if I get just the head to keep space, & at a 5-600$ price, w/the 6 button pedal... The YT videos are certainly convincing but not always to be depended upon.... Controlled feedback pedals you have in mind would be??   Thnx, Kenny 🕉