How often do you replace your bass guitar strings?

davie

• Moderators

Hey guys, just curious how often do you change your bass guitar strings? They're pretty much thick enough that they don't break at all.

There's been some cases where I had to replace the strings on my 6-string electric due to being so worn that sustained notes couldn't maintain a constant pitch anymore. I've had the same strings in my bass guitar for probably 10 years or so and I haven't noticed any issues.

• Moderators
23 hours ago, daddymack said:

it depends...flat wounds? Don't bother....

Round wounds? When the G octave harmonic sounds like a rubber mallet on an anvil, time to change....:wave:

Are flat wounds the immortal bass strings? 🤔

I heard that most of the legendary motown records were recorded using Precision basses strung with flat wounds

I'm actually using round wounds and on a Jazz bass. Though I don't play it very often, the strings still seem good after 10 years.

2 hours ago, isaac42 said:

How often do I what?

I'll take that as never 😄

Its probably good thing considering how expensive bass strings are

• Moderators

maybe not 'immortal', technically as they are not mortal to begin with...however I had flat wounds on my P-bass copy for over a decade, they always sounded the same....muddy but fat. I loaned it to a former bandmate as his backup bass...didn't see it for ten years....when I [finally] got it back, it had Rotosounds on it [or so he claimed]. They are still on there...that was 1998...

• Moderators
21 hours ago, davie said:

Are flat wounds the immortal bass strings? 🤔

I heard that most of the legendary motown records were recorded using Precision basses strung with flat wounds

I'm actually using round wounds and on a Jazz bass. Though I don't play it very often, the strings still seem good after 10 years.

I'll take that as never 😄

Its probably good thing considering how expensive bass strings are

I've actually broken a few bass strings over the years. Definitely replace the set then.

It's time to change some now, I think. I've been thinking about it for a while, and I saw this morning that GC has my favorite strings on sale for $12.99 a set. D'Addario EXL220BT

• Moderators
5 hours ago, isaac42 said:

I've actually broken a few bass strings over the years. Definitely replace the set then.

It's time to change some now, I think. I've been thinking about it for a while, and I saw this morning that GC has my favorite strings on sale for $12.99 a set. D'Addario EXL220BT

Better buy 3 sets...that could be a lifetime supply!

• Members

When I played bass professionally, averaging 2 hours a night, 5 nights a week, and about 10 hours practicing, I changed them once a year. UNLESS one broke. Also, there is the trick of boiling the strings in a pot with a drop of dawn in it. Cleans them up quite nicely, and good for another few months. Oh, strings of choice? D'Addario Half rounds.

Edited by badpenguin

• Members

I broke a new Ernie Ball flatwound D string while setting up my bass when I first bought it. The string broke where the core sticks out at the end, the part that wraps around the tuning peg. The strings were half price on clearance at GC. I bought a GHS flatwound to replace the broken D string. I rarely play it and haven't replaced a string since.

• Moderators
On 4/26/2022 at 4:22 PM, badpenguin said:

When I played bass professionally, averaging 2 hours a night, 5 nights a week, and about 10 hours practicing, I changed them once a year. UNLESS one broke. Also, there is the trick of boiling the strings in a pot with a drop of dawn in it. Cleans them up quite nicely, and good for another few months. Oh, strings of choice? D'Addario Half rounds.

Damn. When I played professionally, we played 5 hours a night, 6 nights a week!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Depends on what kid of tone you have, what kind of strings you have, how much you sweat and how much you play. When I was playing live and practicing once a week, I would change out every 6 months or so. That was for the two main basses. Probably should have done more often. Now playing 6 string whether acoustic of electric requires changes more often for me. Not sure why.

• 7 months later...