12 strings

Mikeo

• Members

Anyone playing one.

I'm thinking I could use one, well maybe. Of course, I could, what am I thinking.

It's a down the road purchase.

Gibson used to make a J185 - 12 string, but it's out of production.

Th Guild  F-512E could be the best option out there these days.

I'll need to find one and give it a whirl.

Taylor has a few. I'm not sure about them.

SRV sounds good.

• Moderators

since covfefe hit, I've picked up two, an electric Danelectro 12 [brand new, $299, how could I resist?], and a Martin XD-2E. I had done duo work with 12 string players in my 'formative period', and have always felt that despite their limited application, there is a place at the table for them. A large piece of my 'revised' solo act relies on the Martin 12...played finger-style.

I didn't feel the need to go high end, since the 12s won't be for collecting, but for performance on relatively low paying gigs, and I will not risk a multi-thousand dollar instrument on a $200 gig. Plus, I traded a bunch of gear I didn't need or want [a Crate amp, pedals] for the Martin [and a HSC]...no cash out of pocket!

• Like 1

• Members

Taylor used to make some nice 12 strings like the jumbo sized x58 models that gave me GAS, but then they did the inexplicable and decided to focus on mostly making concert sized x22ce 12 strings. Oh sure, there's the 150e dread that ticks the basic boxes but after playing a jumbo sized 12 string there's really no going back IMO. Plus that satin "swish" gets tiresome after awhile.

That being said, a couple of years ago they were making another "affordable" offering in the 254ce DLX (grand auditorium size) but they dropped that model - or more properly they dropped the gloss finish option, hardshell case and about $200 off the price. They still make the six string version but if you want a 12 string 254ce you have to deal with the satin finish.

FWIW I'm still tempted but I'd be going at it with my palm sander, a 800 grit disc and a bottle of Maguire's No. 7. Warranty be damned.

Edited by kwakatak
  • Haha 1

• Members
On 4/17/2022 at 9:07 PM, jtr654 said:

They are specialty item most set in there case after the novelty wares off. Yes I do own 3 a Gibson 60's B25 &

EDS1275 and Yamaha PAC303.

A buddy of mine owned a EDS1275, damn that thing was heavy.

• Members

I also saw the Taylor 12 strings. Small body, but strung like a Rickenbacker

Big leaf maple on the 652ce Wild Honey Burst

Taylor 562ce - Shaded Edgeburst mahogany body

I though I would like the maple better, but with the smaller body and shorter scale. The Mahogany sound really good.  I'd have to try it for sure.

Taylor might be on to something for sure.

The e2 expressions system is pretty good. I have in in a GS koa mini with the E2 pick up.

I'll be digging around down the road.

• Members

I played a Danelectro Corel longhorn 12 string during the 80's and 90's. Eventually the neck block caved it, and it almost folded in on itself. I have a Gianinni Cravola 12er that needs some work on it, and an Encore Ric copy. The Encore is the single best description as to why Ric 12 strings aren't copied more! 

• Members
4 hours ago, badpenguin said:

I played a Danelectro Corel longhorn 12 string during the 80's and 90's. Eventually the neck block caved it, and it almost folded in on itself. I have a Gianinni Cravola 12er that needs some work on it, and an Encore Ric copy. The Encore is the single best description as to why Ric 12 strings aren't copied more! 

I owned on of those Danelectro Reissues back in the 90's

It was a burgundy U2. 99 bucks and tax out the door.

I could never find a case to fit it.

I asked myself, why am I playing this thing. Sold to a guy in the area a few years later for 125.

The only 12 string I own and have ever owned.

PAwVOrf.jpg

The Taylor 562ce - Shaded Edgeburst mahogany body, might be something to look at down the road. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On 4/17/2022 at 11:55 AM, Freeman Keller said:

Have not built a jumbo (yet).   Did build this one, not an acoustic so I guess it doesn't count

IMG_6254-1.thumb.jpg.463e9acd5ceb8bd1df496e19192de229.jpg

Looks too heavy for my tastes, but that is a thing of beauty!

And nice seeing you again, Freeman.  It's been years! :wave:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 7/8/2022 at 8:29 PM, bluzboy said:

Looks too heavy for my tastes, but that is a thing of beauty!

And nice seeing you again, Freeman.  It's been years! :wave:

Its all chambered but still pretty heavy.    And thanks, I haven't been here in a long time.   Friend Gardo posted at another forum that good old HC had met its final demise and I was curious.   Apparently it didn't really happen (yet)  - once upon a time this was a regular hang.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...