Ever Hear of JN (James Neligan) Guitars?

bluzboy

• Members

Even though I'm primarily a bassist these days, I'd been jonesing for a new electric/acoustic guitar for a while. I already own a few, but they all fall short for various reasons.  

Late last year, I saw a striking JN Guitar listed on Shopgoodwill.  Although I never heard of the maker before, this guitar immediately called out to me.  Its shape was very similar to my friend's Breedlove, with a sexy tobacco burst finish.  Although the listing mentioned "TLC" (with no context given), the only problems I could see were some scuffs and a missing battery cover. Figured what the hell... and won the auction for $126 (plus shipping).  While waiting for it, I learned the guitar was a JN model BES-A-DCB, which is a dark cherry burst. (My guitar is pictured below; still looks more like a tobacco burst to me). 

992336320112943beym.JPG

Anyway, when the guitar arrived, I could see it had to put up with some moderate abuse, but what concerned me most was that the saddle was sitting up high, and at something like a 70-degree angle (didn't catch that in the auction photos). I removed the strings, and discovered someone decided to use a 3-inch headless nail as a shim.  I removed it, put in three wooden shims, and restrung it. It played beautifully after that, with a sound quality that leaned more toward the Takamine/Taylor side of things than the Martin/Yamaha side. I was sure, however, that the nail messed up the under-the-saddle pickup and had almost accepted the fact that I acquired yet one more acoustic guitar when my friend insisted I plug it in and find out for sure. Much to my delight, the amplified sound was terrific, too, and all the controls were operational.  So...SCORE!

I still don't know all that much about James Neligan guitars, though--even where they're made seems to be something of a mystery. But they're all solid top guitars, the workmanship appears to be top-notch, and as proven by my Bessie, they're more rugged than you might think. They sell for about $365 at retail, but if you can find one for under $200, I'd say go for it.

• Like 1

• Members
5 hours ago, Mikeo said:

Thanks. Already been there.  But that's about it in terms of info about the company. 

I've run across a few reviews, too (mostly from the UK), and they seem to be pretty well-liked overall.   Gotta say, I love playing mine, too.  It's one of the most comfortable acoustics I've ever owned.

• 2 weeks later...