Tone Pot Anomaly....

ksl

• Members

Greetings,, This in my wonderful rescue, a '71 Harmony MARQUIS, that I put new pups in, opened up & cleaned out both switches, & got it working great,,,

Sounds amazing, BUT when I roll the tone pot down, not a whole lot happens until you get to 2... Basically, it's either in or out,, akin to some strange taper I once encountered with a linear pot where I was not getting a smooth sweep,,,, I swapped the pot out, changed the cap, & my diagram is exactly what's under the hood. 

Is there another way or place for the tone cap to go that would address this anomaly??

Thnx in advance...

Screenshot_20220413-173645_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ab60505333f653c052e6dce4979f8c18.jpg20220413_173312.thumb.jpg.d80d610c9022abc9d3882834531f570f.jpg

Edited by ksl

• Members
3 minutes ago, daddymack said:

well, the prime signal doesn't go to ground....everything else does:wave:

Yes but in the end there will be a ground somewhere to complete the circuit. Electricity flows between hot and ground so somewhere, somehow everything goes to ground . 
I was just being an ass

• Moderators
1 hour ago, gardo said:

Yes but in the end there will be a ground somewhere to complete the circuit. Electricity flows between hot and ground so somewhere, somehow everything goes to ground . 
I was just being an ass

:cool2:

My point was about within the guitar....but yes, once it reaches the amplifier, and the 'signal processing' starts, ultimately nothing escapes the 'eternal loop' :thu:

• Haha 1

• Moderators

Another potential culprit is the ratio of the tone pot...ksl, you said you swapped out the pot and no change, and mentioned linear pot issues from the past, so I initially didn't consider that...but do you know what the taper ratio is on those pots?

'Audio taper' has multiple tapers, so if you don't specify a 60:40 ratio, you could have a 90:10 [reversed log] ratio which would account for your results. Just another possible explanation...