Yorkville Speaker Questions

• Members

Hi,

I got a couple of (easy for some people) questions about some speakers a friend wants to sell me.

Keep in mind that they will be used mainly for basement jams with a full band, so I don't need expensive high-end equipment.

They will be plugged in a powered mixer used for voice, acoustic guitar and drum machine.

The speakers in question are a pair of Yorkville Pulse 15.

Anyone know if they are good? I read on the net some comments and some people said they were crap. I know they are not top of the line but for the use I have for them, I don't want to spend too much on speakers.

Also, on the back of the speaker, there are two inputs labeled "parralel input". What does that mean? Can I plug two things in it?

My second question is about the mixer. I have a Alesis Gigamix 4FX.

It has 200W and my speakers say 200W so there sould be no problems?

Also, the mixer says that the speaker load should be 4ohms. The speakers are 8ohms. Can I damage anything?

By the way, I tried them last week and the sound was good. I need to know if they are worth it or should I keep looking.

Thanks!:thu:

• Members

Hello,

Pulse 15s should be OK for what you plan to use them for. The back of the speakers have two 1/4'' input/outputs. You can plug each 1/4'' cable (from the amp) into either of the two. (choose one hole in each speaker). DO NOT SEND POWER FROM BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT CHANNELS OF YOUR AMP INTO ONE SINGLE SPEAKER. Once you use one 1/4'' as an input, the other becomes and output.

For example, if you had an additional pair of Pulse 15s (or other speakers) you wanted to add to your setup, you could just use a shorter 1/4'' to 1/4'' jumper cable on each side (from the other hole in each speaker to the input of each new speaker) to connect them. You would then have 2 speakers per channel. If all cabinets are 8ohms, this would give the amplifier a 4ohm load per channel, which most pro amps can handle. Most amps actually put out more power at this lower impedance, so things would be louder (unless the new speakers are real crap and much less efficient than the Pulse 15s of course...) I wish I had a picture - diagram I could show you. It's tough to explain :)

Al

• Members

Thanks Al, you pretty much ansered all my questions! Good to know about the two input/outputs...

The guy asks 200$ (canadians) each for the speakers. They seem in very good order apart for a few very small dents in the front grill.

Is that a good price?

• Members

Thanks Al, you pretty much ansered all my questions! Good to know about the two input/outputs...

The guy asks 200$ (canadians) each for the speakers. They seem in very good order apart for a few very small dents in the front grill.

Is that a good price?

Considering the low price of speakers these days and the fact that the Pulse 15 is over 10 years old, not really....

You can get a brand new pair of these for about 600$ canadian, and that's with 2 year warranty :

I own the powered version (YX15P) and they are well built, look great and actually sound very good considering their price tag... Where are you located?

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

Pulse were Yorkville's "middle of the road" speakers. On par with something like a Yamaha Club series, but probably a bit more efficient. Yorkville has never been one to use speakers requiring a lot of power for maximum output.

I agree with Al. At $200 each, while not grossly overpriced it's no bargain either. I'd offer him $300 for both and see if he bites.

• Members

My first ever PA speakers were Pulse series cabinets. I used the Pulse 153s and 253s for many years. They got loud and were reliable but were not great sounding - like many PA speakers of that time. Now that I think of it, those Pulse 15s might be closer to 15 years old. ;) They were efficient though. When I started DJ'ing, I often used a pair of 153s with a 100 watt/channel home stereo amp for gigs, and it actually was adequate most of the time! I eventually got a Yamaha P3200 amplifier and another pair of Pulse 153s and that was my setup for many years. Got loud and worked well. I don't really miss them though.... Today's stuff generally sounds much better and is lighter. :) 300$ for the pair (if they are mint) is OK. I'd still choose a new pair with warranty though.

Al

• Members

I have a pair of yorkville pl12's which I think are part of the pulse series. They're 150 watt 12 inch speakers. They sound pretty good, but the low end response is lacking and I find the mids a little undefined. For vocals, guitar and drum machine (at moderate levels) they should be fine for your needs. FWIW I picked these up for $100 each after they'd served 8 years in long and mcquade's rental dept. Obviously, they are reliable. Oh, and I find the carpet covering kind of ugly but, again, for the basement they're good little speakers. I imagine your 15 inch versions will provide similar results.

• Members

Interesting thread. I just bought a pair of Pulse 15 boxes for $75 each..One had no woofer and the other had an Eminence Beta 15 in it. I sold the Beta for $50.

I am going to rebuild the cabinets. Put a couple Eminence Kappa Pro 15's or Black Widow's, new crossovers and I have taken out the high frequency radiators and am putting 6 X 15 horns in them with drivers I haven't decided on yet.

The are well built cabinets and not too heavy so it should be interesting how they sound when completed. The boxes are bigger and a lot deeper than my Peavey SP5's or Yamaha S115's.

• Members

I agree that your "friend" is asking too much for them. I don't know about Canada, but here in the states Yorkville speakers do not hold their value on the used market very well at all. This is especially true with the lower lines and especially if they are this old.

$300 for the pair might be too high.

• Members

I guess I'm gonna shop around a bit to get some price comparisons to get the seller to drop the price. He has new speakers so he doesn't want more speakers lying around.

I saw Peavey PV 115 advertised at $239.95 new. They are 400W 8ohms. Are they good speakers?

Either the seller drops the price or I might get the Peavey.

• Members

I saw Peavey PV 115 advertised at $239.95 new. They are 400W 8ohms. Are they good speakers?

Either the seller drops the price or I might get the Peavey.

No. The PR series, not so hot either. You need to step up to the "SP" series to get something worthwhile in the Peavey name. For Yamaha, the Club Series is the lowest I'd go.

• Members

The SP series is more expensive. I know you have to pay for quality but I don't want to pay 400$ each.

Do anyone have other suggestions for good not too expensive speakers?

On the other hand, if I can the price down to 300$ for the two pulse 15, is it a good move?

• Members

Are these boxes blue or black? The black series are older than the blue.

What currency are you talking about? $300 US is not a good deal (unless they're in really good shape ie. close to new). Even $300 CAN isn't all that great.

The cool thing about the Pulse series is that the combination of the conical horn, "tail light" horn protection and driver, seemed to produce a nice compressed high end.

As mentioned, they are not top of the line, but they have their applications.

Check Yorkville's site to see how the serial number relates to the year of manufacture.

• 10 years later...
  • Members

I just bought 2 used Pulse 12 speakers for $40.00 from, my all time favorite nightclub. I was told the woofers needed replacing, so I will, because these have gotten a lot of use in that nightclub, for a long time. I will run these with an equally "vintage" NAD 7800 receiver, in my workshop. I am very noobish about this endeavor, so am looking for some advice on what to do, please? Should I use parts from the factory? Or just another aftermarket woofer? Should I replace the hardware in the speakers? Back in my "audiophile days", I was a tinkerer (took Dahlquist DQ-10s and replaced the caps and mirror imaged them, that sort of thing), but have very little knowledge about current thoughts around these speakers.

• Members
On 7/8/2020 at 11:20 AM, Bundler said:

I just bought 2 used Pulse 12 speakers for $40.00 from, my all time favorite nightclub. I was told the woofers needed replacing, so I will, because these have gotten a lot of use in that nightclub, for a long time. I will run these with an equally "vintage" NAD 7800 receiver, in my workshop. I am very noobish about this endeavor, so am looking for some advice on what to do, please? Should I use parts from the factory? Or just another aftermarket woofer? Should I replace the hardware in the speakers? Back in my "audiophile days", I was a tinkerer (took Dahlquist DQ-10s and replaced the caps and mirror imaged them, that sort of thing), but have very little knowledge about current thoughts around these speakers.

They'll generally sound best with factory parts.

Archived