NADY EOM In Ear Monitor Help!

• Members

Ok, ok... Before anybody tells me to sell this NADY EOM setup and buy a Shure/Audio Techinica/Galaxy setup, etc.... I bought this thing for my band to try In Ear Monitors.

I read a review on HC and a guy talks about doing a mod and adjusting the volume and turning off 'switch # 4' on a switch gizmo inside the receiver units however, my unit is new and doesn't have any switches. The only thing I see that is 'adjustable' is a taller chrome part that has a 'knob' with a security fitting on it (no problem with that) but that seems to be more for 'tuning in the channel' than anything.

I was also aware that there was a 'hiss' on these things when you are not actually playing and from what I read, 'it wasn't that bad and it goes away when you start playing.' Well, the one I bought hisses BAD!

Does anyone own a set of these and are familiar with the insides and can give me some pointers on quieting these things down a bit? Other than the things I've mentioned, they could be used quite well in a club setting but I don't know if they can be adjusted or whatever?

Would appreciate any advice from someone that is knowledgeable about this particular unit. I'm trying to get it into decent shape so I can use it a bit and convince the guys that 1) this is the way to go and 2) we need to spend some money for a better setup...

• Members

I have to be honest with you. That is where I started to get a feel for in ears. I used them once and then bought a Carvin unit. Used that it at a rehearsal and basically dumped it after exchanging it three times before Carvin told me that is how they were supposed to sound. I just couldn't believe that in ears were supposed to sound that way.

I then bought a PSM200 and never looked back.

The Nady's were incredibly quiet (except for the hiss) even after all the tweaks we tried. They are not frequecy agile so what you hear is what you get. The Carvins sounded like a VERY bad AM radio (including the static). The PSM sounded full and loud. I am so glad I stuck with it because I still have the Nady's (couldn't give them away) and I sold the Carvin on eBay (after letting bidders know the whole story). I think I got about $50 for 3 units. That's more then I expected.

We love the in ears but we would still be using wedges if we didn't persist in looking for better units.

• Members

Oh no, don't sell it. You wouldn't want to go out and buy something that actually worked well would you?

Modifying this stuff is fine for engineers and techs who KNOW what they are doing, but anbody buying this kind of product certainly doesn't fall into that catagory IMO.

The good advice is to go out and buy quality. You have junk.

• Members

Oh no, don't sell it. You wouldn't want to go out and buy something that actually worked well would you?

Modifying this stuff is fine for engineers and techs who KNOW what they are doing, but anbody buying this kind of product certainly doesn't fall into that catagory IMO.

The good advice is to go out and buy quality. You have junk.

Oh! That was SO helpful. Thank you for your kind advice. You obviously KNOW what you are doing.

• Members

Think about it this way: you have a radio, stereo maybe and it must be able to handle a wide range of signals. Then there is a headphone amp and some earbuds. Honestly I wouldn't cross the street to piss on a Nady piece of gear, unless that Nady was going to burn my house down. boo. It's truly a piece, now buck up and get something that works. And yes it will be expensive. Boo, there is no free lunch.

• CMS Author

Oh! That was SO helpful. Thank you for your kind advice. You obviously KNOW what you are doing.

So unless someone lies and tells you what you want to hear, you won't be satisfied? You started off in a defensive position in your first post, so you already know damned well that you made a mistake. It happens.

Many years ago I heard a saying, "Sometimes you just have to jack up the license plates and slip a new car in between."

This is one of those times.

• Members

I'm trying to get it into decent shape so I can use it a bit and convince the guys that 1) this is the way to go and 2)
we need to spend some money for a better setup...

The system that you have purchased is all the evidence that you need to justify spending more money for a better setup. You've tried cheap and it doesn't work. You only have two remaining options; quality or give up. My band also tried to go with IEMs. I bought a Sennheiser unit (that I've since sold due to the spectrum selloff), my guitar player bought a Nady. The Nady sucked so bad that the rest of the band was soured on the whole idea. We went with better quality floor wedges.

• Members

Obviously, all the 'cork sniffers' missed the very first lines of the Original Post...

Unfortunately there is no way you are going to have a good experience with that unit, they are crap.

And also obviously, one shouldn't rely on the user reviews at Harmony Central.

I would add to that almost any review found on the internet, especially reviews expounding how awesome the piece is with no downside at all! In life there are no free lunches and no shortcuts. You get what you pay for. If you buy a budget piece of gear, be prepared for it to work and sound like a budget peice of gear. If you have to rely on internet reviews at least try to find one that is balanced.

Good luck, have fun and stick around, you will learn something (and look back on this and laugh).

All the best,

Greg

• Members

OK.

Don't do anything. The Nady is the best in ear solution you have. What you hear is what you get. Period. If it sucks it is simply because it sucks. You will not be able to tweak anything that will make it a usable unit. You bought a 20 year old used Yugo to show your friends how cool a Lamborghini Diablo is. Facts are facts.

Sorry. You bought something that might convince them NEVER to use in ears. Nothing we say is going to change that fact.

Why get upset with us because there is nothing we (or anyone else) in this universe can do to turn that POS system into something usable?

I have three of those exact same systems sitting in my basement. I wouldn't even use them to hold a door open in the rain.

Dont get mad at us. I just admitted to buying three of those things. We aren't picking on you. We have all made mistakes. I made the exact same mistake as you - actually, I hope you only bought one of 'em. Nothing personal. The Nady EO3 sucks. Deal with it and listen to what we have to say. There is NO WAY to make those usuable in a real situation. Sorry.

Please lose the attitude. As far as not trusting our reviews???? You would trust someone reviews that says those ARE good units???? Be thankful that the Nady is so cheap. You could have bought three Carvins and wasted even more money (like I did).

• Members

Do you want good info or do you want an ass kissing brown nose response?

Lose the attitude or you will find this to be an unplesant place to get information from.

Yes, I do know what I am doing. That's why I gave you the information I did.

• Members

Sorry, that still gets me. You have already decided the Nady is crap but when we say the same thing we are wrong. Guess what. Maybe you SHOULD rely on the reviews here...maybe ask BEFORE wasting your money. I would have told my my experiences with the EXACT SAME UNIT that you are talking about.

If we told you it was great would you then think about relying on our reviews?

• Members

Return that unit. It is junk. It looks like they cost about 200.00 There is a hardwired shure 400 scratch and dent at MF for the same money. Try that one, if you convince the band to go with IEM's, and you have a lot better chance with a much better unit, use the hardwired shure for the drummer.

• Members

I'm not sure if you are a guitar player, but if you are, this anology might help

Let's say someone bought this

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Electric-Guitar-Pack?sku=582102

and it even has a 5-star review on the website.

Now he finds that it plays badly, doesn't stay in tune, has no intonation whatsoever and sounds awful.

Then he asks: "what can I do to make this guitar sound & play better". The basic answer "nothing". You can fiddle around with setup and start replacing parts, but that's just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. It will be never be a good guitar.

• CMS Author

Obviously, all the 'cork sniffers' missed the very first lines of the Original Post...

The very first line of this thread was your "I bought crap but want to turn it into gold" disclaimer.

As an FYI, some of the people you're giving {censored} to here are engineers (the real ones with the degree in engineering) and work for industry manufacturers designing this stuff. If they say it can't be fixed, it probably can't be fixed, and unless you can show how it can, you should probably just accept the advice you've been given.

Regarding the user reviews; they're like all reviews...usually posted by people who either just bought the thing and love it, or people who have a problem with a thing and don't have the skills to resolve the issue. Very few are fair and unbiased information about the product.

• Members

I will let you know a little secret. I would love to buy stuff that cost 20% of what I end up paying for gear. Hey, I am not a cork sniffer, I am a cheap SOB. I buy the cheapest PA gear that will do the job. I know PA gear depreciates like a MFer. My "job" that I want my PA gear to do, is small

This forum has been a fantastic resource to save me money. I read what these folks think about gear, and avoid the pit-falls of buying cheap gear that won't do the job I need. I have ran into a few of the maligned pieces of gear in other folks bands, and that has done nothing but assure me that the main repeat posters here know what they are talking about.

• Members

This forum has been a fantastic resource to save me money. I read what these folks think about gear, and avoid the pit-falls of buying cheap gear that won't do the job I need. I have ran into a few of the maligned pieces of gear in other folks bands, and that has done nothing but assure me that the main repeat posters here know what they are talking about.

TRUTH :thu:

• Members

Hey everybody! Seriously, my apologies for even asking about this item. I should've known better.

If you would have asked before you bought, you wouldn't be feeling so defensive right now. This forum is a great source of knowledge and info. Opinions on any particular piece of gear discussed here vary, based on engineering, design and real world experience. But if you spend a little time here, even if only lurking, pretty soon you will get a sense not only of what gear is good and what is crap, but why it is what it is. The range of experience here runs the gamut from occasional weekend warriors like myself to the engineers that actually designed some of the equipment that you probably own. The range of systems that we run run from small speaker on stick systems in a local pub to Ozfest. And without exception, every last one of us has bought gear that we have regretted. So relax, sit down with a cold beverage, and join along with us so that your next purchase won't be so frustrating.

• Members

I found Mipro to ba a fine IEM system for a reasonably price. Try to get in touch with musicians using it to get their view. I have tried Shure and Sennheiser and used wireless gear of every kind. I find mipro to be very stable and clean sounding + that it's built solid.

Archived