Guitar body painting

slick848

• Members

Im a 100% disabled vet from Vietnam and am looking for something to keep me busy so i bought an unfinished guitar body and decided to try my hand at painting the body, im a jack of all trades but never tried painting so here i am, just need alittle help,if u cant help thats fine to. Thanks anyhow.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Your spraygun should have come with a viscosity cup. The manual should have this same data specific to your particular model.

The wood should be sanded smooth, wiped with takcloth, and lightly sprayed with soapy water and wiped off.

Depending on the wood and the grain, and your intended outcome, there are decisions to make as to primer, and what type of paint. Clear coat? Poly is simple, inexpensive and easily obtained.

• Moderators

slick...without seeing the wood and grain, then it is hard to point you at a specific paint [for different reasons]...and not knowing what color[s] and finish you are intending, there is not much to tell you.

There is a lot of stuff you need to look up and at, and that's on you. The internet has the information, you just need to decide what exactly you are trying to do, but 'paint a guitar body' is too vague.

You give us specifics, we give you specifics.

Example: I prefer to paint with enamel. But softer woods, when banged, will allow the enamel to crack. So on softer woods, enamel is not always a great paint.

Also, before you try painting that guitar body, practice on scrap wood, learn the 'sweep' and get a feel for the coverage. I have found that spray guns can vary a bit. You can actually practice with water, to get the feel of it, and save your paint!

• Members

Thanks daddymack you have been a big help, i took your advice and have been looking at tons of video's and reading info on painting. Im going to try white and the body is Maple i was told when i bought it, will use poly as the finish,,,will show you a picture when i finish it

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, slick848 said:

Thanks daddymack you have been a big help, i took your advice and have been looking at tons of video's and reading info on painting. Im going to try white and the body is Maple i was told when i bought it, will use poly as the finish,,,will show you a picture when i finish it

looking forward to the final results...but for fun...you could show us the unfinished body, through the entire process...:thu:

we've got nothing else to do around here 😉

• Members

Slick, "painting" a guitar body is not a trivial subject, and is one of the most difficult aspect of building a guitar.   You need to decide on a finishing product, preparation, method of application, final sanding and buffing.    One of the reasons so many hand applied finishes are popular with do it yourself finishers is because it is so difficult to get a professional finish.

This is a great resource and does cover setting up your spray gun and compressor, but it is primarily focused on traditional lacquer finishes

Guitar Finishing Step-By-Step

Depending on your wood you may need to fill the pores to get a smooth finish (it is very unlikely your guitar body actually is maple, it might have a maple cap however).   If in fact your body is maple it would be a shame to cover it with an opaque finish like white.    Dan does discuss some traditional white finishes but, again, he is mixing the colors with lacquer.

The cardinal rule for any finishing question, and it goes double here, is to do all of your practice and experimenting on scraps of the same wood as your guitar.    Learn your gun and compressor by shooting lots of water or solvent until you are totally comfortable with the settings.   Wear the proper PPE and have fun.

• Like 1

• Members

I've painted a couple of my guitars and love the results. All I did was get a can of spray-paint, hang the guitar body up, and spray. That was it. Here they are:

DaphneBlueSquierStratfrontback.thumb.jpg.02a6085ade94f1c48968a58d4c542680.jpg

1184311443_GOLDSQUIERSTRATfrontandback.thumb.jpg.14f17ebdfd3c3c760f95440d33f68c5a.jpg

I left them with a sort of satin/matte finish, which I love.

I actually think I may have done a better job than the Fender Custom Shop.  :)

Strat11ASBL-large.jpg.b8a1825b9b7a122b8358d6f159f9ccf5.jpg

fender-mbjs-1969strat-hr-owt0r92668-main__wwg_large.thumb.jpg.4bb9125763e31bc5abffcf16107c6604.jpg

Edited by peskypesky
  • Like 1