Vocal Floor Monitor (questions)

• Members

Hey guys, how's it going?

maybe someone can help me

im the lead vocalist for my rock band.. sort of on an arctic monkeys vibe.. we're starting to get equipment since we're getting hooked up to do shows.. small to medium venues...

what i have so far for the live sets:

I have a rode m2 condenser microphone

a yamaha mg10/2 mixer

Safe Sound Audio P1 preamp

1.) Im looking for a floor monitor for my vocals in the $300-400 range.. im going bang for buck.. 100% leaning on quality, im not interested in weight etc lol..

also, im not to sure what kind of monitor id need (passive/active)..??? would i need anything else other then what i've listed for my end??

any suggestions?

I need to make my purchase by friday :S

• Members

Yorkville NX25P is a decent active speaker for the money. Only you know if you need active or passive. With passive you need a separate amp of course.

That mixer is a pretty long way from what a rock band would need to do a show.

As to what else do you need, the rest of the PA would be a good start. What else do you have?

• Members

??? gee the rode is a nice thing for the studio...but live is useless. you need to give more information...what you are listing here need way more than stage monitors for a live rock show.:poke:

I think the M2 is a live audio mic...not the NTX series.

56715.jpg

In your price range the NX25p should be fine.

• Members

Thanks to everyone for responding!!

Yorkville NX25P is a decent active speaker for the money. Only you know if you need active or passive. With passive you need a separate amp of course.

That mixer is a pretty long way from what a rock band would need to do a show.

As to what else do you need, the rest of the PA would be a good start. What else do you have?

we're thinking of renting the rest of the PA for now until we start making some money.. i just wanted to get the monitor for the vocals.. im going to definitely look into the nx25p's! .. my guitarist is telling me to grab some used ones.. is used a good option with monitors or would my best bet be new?

what is holding that mixer back? not saying that in a disrespectful way lol.. i just want to know what to look for.. is it the lack of eq options?

also, i've been looking into getting the tc helicon create to add some nice reverb on the vocals.. not into crazy effects on my voice or anything.. but i dont mind some light levels of it.. any suggestions for the live setting?

• Members

??? gee the rode is a nice thing for the studio...but live is useless. you need to give more information...what you are listing here need way more than stage monitors for a live rock show.:poke:

the rode m2 is designed for live shows.. sounding pretty nice!

im a 'live show' newb.. i do a lot of studio recording.. not really sure how the live set up works

according to my guitarists, bass and drummer they have everything on their end figured out.. i just want to get the things for vocals.. im loving the mic and preamp.. im just lost... what else is needed after the floor monitor for the vocals?

• Members

Thanks to everyone for responding!!

we're thinking of renting the rest of the PA for now until we start making some money.. i just wanted to get the monitor for the vocals.. im going to definitely look into the nx25p's! .. my guitarist is telling me to grab some used ones.. is used a good option with monitors or would my best bet be new?

what is holding that mixer back? not saying that in a disrespectful way lol.. i just want to know what to look for.. is it the lack of eq options?

also, i've been looking into getting the tc helicon create to add some nice reverb on the vocals.. not into crazy effects on my voice or anything.. but i dont mind some light levels of it.. any suggestions for the live setting?

Used is a good choice for PA purchases usually. If you tell us where you live, we could even go through your local Craigslist for you.

The mixer doesn't have nearly enough inputs, but worse, the monitor send and fx sends are on one knob. Turn it left you get monitors. Turn it right, you get effects. There's no way to get both at the same time.

• Members

Used is a good choice for PA purchases usually. If you tell us where you live, we could even go through your local Craigslist for you.

The mixer doesn't have nearly enough inputs, but worse, the monitor send and fx sends are on one knob. Turn it left you get monitors. Turn it right, you get effects. There's no way to get both at the same time.

dude, thanks for all of the help.

Im from Toronto.. my local music shops sell a lot of used ones but im not to sure what to look for when buying used floor monitors.. especially from the music stores around here.. lol.. unfortunately they've hired some of the most untrustworthy people.. salesmanship over product knowledge

• Members

I think since you're planning on renting the rest of the PA anyway, you should let that rental include monitors until you get sufficient knowledge to understand what you really need. You don't have an appropriate mixer yet, nor even a real understanding of whether you want powered or unpowered speakers. I think you'd be better off taking a bit of time to learn how everything works than to rush into an inappropriate purchase.

• Members

I think since you're planning on renting the rest of the PA anyway, you should let that rental include monitors until you get sufficient knowledge to understand what you really need. You don't have an appropriate mixer yet, nor even a real understanding of whether you want powered or unpowered speakers. I think you'd be better off taking a bit of time to learn how everything works than to rush into an inappropriate purchase.

you're absolutely right!

thanks again for all of the help

• Members

Do yourself a favor it won't cost much, pick up Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Hand Book read until you understand it. They wrote so just about anybody with common sense can understand it. If you don't understand it, then come here plenty of folks here can help you. Also when you buy don't cheap out because when you cheap out you'll wind up losing your butt on re-sale value because the cheap stuff sound god awful cheap. You can't go wrong with a lot of the Yorkville gear and a few other name brands just gotta make sure it's not their economy series because they all make them and they all have limitations vs their higher grade series. Anyway might wanna grab your self a live vocal mic you never know you could be nervous and have sweaty palms and the mic slips right out of your hand, seen it happen before.

Archived