Mic stands?

• Members

Okay I have some old round base mic stands don't even know the make model or brand just their old and heavy. I have 3 standard size with booms that I bought separate from them, also have 2 Samson mini booms and the pewter base legs broke, so lot of duct tape holds the the pewter legs semi straight for the 2 SM57 I was using. Now by trial and error I ran across this problem with wood stage usually cover in carpet. Problem is low end FB. I'm assuming between the round base stand and the Samson pewter base stands with it's 3 leg pewter base is what was causing the low end FB from the LS700P's blow back on smaller stages. So would replacing my antique round base mic stands with the Onstage mic stands that have the fold up legs work for replacement. Don't have a lot money since I just bought 3 e835 mics, 2

e609 to eliminate the Samson since their flat mics you can drape over guitar cabs. Then used rane eq, and pair of EV SXA 360 active cabs. So my funds are running low. I'm trying to upgrade my gear for later on of intense gigging hopefully. Like we did for the past 7 months and ran across problems like this.

• Members

If you're looking for mic stands that will stand up to abuse and "intense gigging", you really want K&M or Atlas mic stands. IME, on-stage will not stand up to much abuse. I have some that I just keep in my rehearsal room, but even just moving them around the basement has led the tripod legs to go all limp and you really have to crank down on the boom arm to keep it from drooping. I've got K&M stands that are proabably almost as old as I am that have been thrown in and out of cases, gigging almost every weekend, that still work just fine.

• Members

stay away from those Onstage stands. They suck; I've been through several of them in the last 5 years. If you just set them up once and don't break them down every weekend they will probably last awhile, but not worthy IMO. And I don't gig a lot, maybe twice a month at most.

• Members

Look at your current mic stands. Are the little rubber feet missing? That helps a lot with transmitted LF rumble.

I've had good luck with the On Stage stands. But I do baby them. They are usually just set as drum OH stands and NOT handled about by a singer. It's worth the extra $$ to get better quality CAST joints for the folding tripod mic stands. On Stage uses plastic. Cast base stands will often outlive the performer. If you can handle the transporting of them, they are the better, longer lasting solution.

Boomerweps

Archived