JBL PRX 518S Sub

• Members

Hello,

I just purchased a used JBL PRX 518S powered sub. Works and sounds great, but I am underwhelmed with the performance. I trust the seller is not trying to scam me (maybe I've been dupped!:confused:) I haven't hook up a ton of devices yet to try different inputs, but I am wondering - Is it possible for the sub to have some sort of defect that would limit it's performance? The sound is clean, no clipping, x-over and polarity switcing works, both left and right channels work. In my experience an amp either works or it doesn't and a speaker either sounds like crap or sounds good and clean. I just feel like this thing should be putting out some more thump.

Thanks for any and all suggestions or comments!

• Members

How is there both left and right channels in a single sub?

What are your expectations?

What different devices and inputs do you need to hook up to determine if it works properly?

If I am reading your post correctly, you bought a single 518... what are your expectations for any single 18 sub? I have used 518's in installations and for smaller live events and it's pretty much the best (or as good) product in it's class.

• Members

518 allows for left and right input and it bridges these to a single mono signal to the sub.

I visited a local guitar center and listened to theirs on the floor and it *appeared* to have much more power, and it wasn't turned up to max input gain.

There's was connected to a dj station. I have only connected mine to a ipod with 1/8" to 1/4" adapter and also to a Roland TD8 brain. I am wondering if I need to hook up to a mixer (I have a 24 channel berhinger) and tune the output on the mixer to deliver more input into the sub. One things that was interesting is that I never saw the clip light illuminate even though I had my input device (ipod or Roland) at maw volume and the gain on the sub at max. I'll be hooking up to my mixer tonight to see what happens. I need to get the clip light on the sub to illuminate else I dont think i am pushing it hard enough.

Expectations are to *feel* more bass in live music situation. I'm drummer and can't hear/feel my kick drum over everything else.

• Members

If you are using a stereo to mono adapter for your I-POD, you will lose output level as well as possibly lose bass or increase distortion. Try using only one channel from your IPOD. You still may not be able to drive the sub to full output though, I think you will be a few dB shy on drive capacity.

Are you using them with top cabinets? Subs by themselves do not have any punch, it's the combination of sub AND top cabinets that give you what you expect.

You might search on the PRX-518 here and see what we have walked some folks through.

I think you might need a pair if your application needs more low end also.

What are you using as a crossover?

• Members

A friend of mine bought the PRX518s with the dual tops to match. He was very dissatisfied with the 518s at first, he found a switch on the back, may have been a polarity switch cant remember, that made all the difference. They thump now.

Archived