Additional Height Needed....

ksl

• Members

Howdy all~  Before I fire up the forge & start laying into my spare bridged, is there another way to give some lift to my existing (pictured) tailpiece?

My saddles are too high & I'm out of threading, & it simply looks not right.. & my hunch is to make some scrap usable so I can slip it under my existing Non-Trem plate for about 3mm of rise...

Anything better and/or easier, & readily available online  or in store,, Depot, Lowes? ?

Thnx folks 🎸🎸🕉

20220314_143956.thumb.jpg.bc01c182ef6ea31e2fe3620d7e0d8a7a.jpg

20220314_144158.jpg

• Members

I'm sorry,, it's a set neck, & someone's freshman run at building.... neck is straight with the usual most minute bit of bow...

Fine line between builder & luthier, huh?ॐ

It plays great, neck is good, but those saddles are hanging on in height by 1 or no threading, & I don't want to compensate with a bigger bow... I'm really contemplating using this spare wrap-around & take it to the next & final level....????..

20220314_152557.jpg

20220314_152530.jpg

20220314_152403.jpg

20220314_152328.jpg

20220314_152249.jpg

20220314_152119.jpg

• Members

Damn that's a mess.

I wasn't sure if that was a neck thru or not.

If it's a set neck stream it off and get it right.

You could try a wrap around bridge, but I steam off the thing, if it can be,

A freshmen luthier will be steaming of a lot of necks along the way. Might as well learn how to do it now.

I don't know how many guitars Le Fender put through the wood chipper along the way. I bet it was a few.

I built a cigar box guitar once and the neck angle was the most difficult part of the build.

Probably by first and last build ever.

It does play ok

8Bt91z1.jpg

gqzqCvG.jpg

anOxitd.jpg

• Moderators

some good 'quick fix' suggestions...but frankly...the builder should re-set the neck. The only way he will learn about making a correct neck angle....is by fixing the bad ones. And that there^...is a bad one.

is there a mortise and tenon joint? [who am I kidding?]:philpalm:

Do you know how the neck was glued in?

Assuming your 'freshman builder' slapped a bolt on style neck into a bolt on style pocket, and glued the neck in there....he needs to learn...a lot. Like geometry...and stress factors...and why it isn't so easy to just glue two pieces of wood together to make a guitar.:wave:

• Like 2

• Members

I intentionally add a brass plate under that type of bridge on my own guitars. Adds mass right where you want it. Use the existing bridge as a template. If you've got a torch you can solder the plate to the bridge. You'll need longer bridge mounting screws.

• Members

Sometimes the more effort one puts into covering up a mistake, the more obvious the mistake becomes . It will never be right until the neck is redone. 
I vote for steaming the neck off .

If you do chose another option to raise the saddles , will there be enough adjustment to raise the bridge pickup ?

7CCA9FAE-EB28-4592-91E6-28866188EB24.thumb.jpeg.e0381a68b4d77497052177699fd58569.jpeg

Edited by gardo