Microphone design question..

• Members

I was just wondering - and wasn't sure where to post this, but since we have more than a few real designers reading and posting on this section, I figured this was the best place to post it.

My question is, how much, or what part, does the body of a microphone play in the actual sound of the microphone?

In essence, if you take a condenser microphone element - same exact capsule and the entire "mic" end of the microphone - and put it on two different length bodies (say a mic that has a 5" long body and a mic that has a 2" long body) will the length of the body have any effect on the sound that the mic produces - such as the frequency range it picks up?

Thanks!

• Members

If the diameter of the body is the same, then I'd say it would make very little difference (as long as it is stand mounted & isolation isn't a problem. The importants of the physical shape of a mic is mostly confined to the area within a couple of inches of the capsule (I.E. rear vents for phase cancellation creating it's pattern, and obstruction and/or diffusion of the sound through the protective cage (and the resonance of that cage (which could include the body)).

In a small way it can make a difference sure. I've had people readjust where the music stand is to make their vocal sound better (studio), even when the music stand was at the most off axis point in the mic's pattern. So I guess the reflections from the mic stand it's self could make a tiny difference (but hey, how far down into the stand holder did you shove the mic?). I think we're talking very tiny differences.

While we're at it could you explain these principals to the Hip Hop guys that cup the mic and yell into it? (they're destroying that fragile pristine sound that the mic was made to reproduce :>)

• Members

Typical sound reinforcement mics ALL start out as omni patterned mics. It is the body size and shape and the way that it lets the sound enter the body behind the capsule that turns it into a cardioid (hyper, super, etc). You always lose sound quality doing this (omnis are always smoother, etc).

As far as cupping the mic ... it changes everything (for the bad). If that's part of your tone like guitar distortion, then so be it.

Archived