Anyone played any of the budget short scale Ibanez?

Lewis77

• Members

Basically, I'm after a compact budget bass for occasional use in a home recording set up. 

I saw some decent reviews for some of the short scale Ibanez. 

Was wondering if any cats here had pawed one & your thoughts.

As said, it's for occasional use. Not for live performance. I like the idea of short scale so it's easy to store.

So, do they play okay for that purpose?

• Members
On 3/10/2022 at 4:18 PM, Lewis77 said:

Basically, I'm after a compact budget bass for occasional use in a home recording set up. 

I saw some decent reviews for some of the short scale Ibanez. 

Was wondering if any cats here had pawed one & your thoughts.

As said, it's for occasional use. Not for live performance. I like the idea of short scale so it's easy to store.

So, do they play okay for that purpose?

I have tried a ton of Ibanez. Their guitars and basses are great value for the coin. 

I have a very old Kala U Bass, it's an interesting piece. It's probably not for everyone, but it sounds like a double bass with the rubber strings on it.

If you're playing rock the Ibanez has no bad reviews that I can see.

Over the years, since many of my favorite shops I love had gone belly up or where closed/ by appointment during the pandemic. I buy alot more gear and accessories on line these days. Even more costly instruments.

Sweetwater, Musicians friend and host of others, will let you buy a piece of equipment and if you hate it, you can return it no questions asked.

I got Kala as a gift from a friend.

I tend to play it through a SWR California Blonde.

https://instaofbass.com/kala-u-bass-the-instrument-that-took-the-scene-by-storm/

s646063048528192789_p1701_i1_w1536.jpeg?

Might as well add this vid

Edited by Mikeo

• Members

If you mean budget like the GIO line, they're ok. Nothing special to say about them.

Ibanez GSRM20 Gio Short Scale Bass Root Beer Metallic - Backwoods Guitar LLC

The TMB series.... not bad, didn't care for the pickups, but that's subjective.

Amazon.com: Ibanez TMB 4 String Bass Guitar, Right, Black (TMB30BK) : Musical Instruments

Now the Artcore line of basses, I think one or two is 30", nice. I liked the feel and overall tone.

Ibanez Artcore AFB200 Hollowbody Electric Bass Guitar, Laurel Fretboard, Transparent Black Sunburst | Adorama Music | Reverb

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It isn't an Ibanez, but I recently played a Gretsch G2220 at a local store and was blown away. Had it not been pink, I would have left with it. Sounded really great, played fantastic and felt good in the hand...and for $299, it was a complete steal...at least in my opinion.