THD Hot Plate with low watt amps

Behnkrijk

• Members

Hello. 

I have a 16 ohm Hot Plate that I use with my 50 and 100 watt heads to great effect. However I also have a Vox AC4TV that I can hook up to my cabinet (also 16 ohm). 

Is it safe to hook up the Hot Plate in between? With it being only a single tube and how would it work on the 1 watt and 1/10 watt setting?

I dont really care about the amp, but the hot plate is my baby and I don't want to mess it up. 

Grateful for any replies. Cheers! 

• Moderators

IIRC, the AC4TV has a 1/4 watt setting, so why would you want to run a hot plate [or any load modifier]?

Then again, I have no idea exactly what you are trying to accomplish...If you want to drive a larger [assumed since you only said it was 16ohm] cab with the AC4, it should not really have any negative impact on the hotplate...but at 1/4W, why bother using the THD?

• Members

To clarify. I don't need to use the Vox at the lowest setting. I feel it sounds best at 4 watts, but it's easy to have the switch accidentally in the other position. And 4 watts cranked is still pretty loud. 

My wife won't let me have the 100 watt Marshall in the house is what this all comes down to. :'--(

But thanks for the reply. 

Edited by Behnkrijk

• Members
On 3/9/2022 at 1:18 PM, Behnkrijk said:

To clarify. I don't need to use the Vox at the lowest setting. I feel it sounds best at 4 watts, but it's easy to have the switch accidentally in the other position. And 4 watts cranked is still pretty loud. 

My wife won't let me have the 100 watt Marshall in the house is what this all comes down to. :'--(

But thanks for the reply. 

You don't need a new amp or Hot plate, you need a new wife. 

:bounce022:

I have Yamaha THR-c for those moments. Good enough for practice and quiet guitar moments.

• Members
18 hours ago, Behnkrijk said:

Haha for sure! She is a deamon in that way. 

I messed around with the different watt modes with and without the hotplate, and the 4watt setting with the hotplate and a treble booster on my SG was just amazing

Nice, looks like the amp issue is solved.

I have a Gibson GS 5 Lester Paul Jr amp and a second generation Marshall class 5.

They can get pretty loud, so I know what ya mean.

When I'm playing through them, I tell my wife it's not that loud and you are hearing history in the making.

• 2 years later...
  • Members
Posted (edited)

There are a lot of amps nowadays that have a Master control that is so good you don't need an attenuator. Friedman's are known for that, for example, but it depends on how much power tube saturation you like.

Edited by Hoot Owl