Budget Replacement tuners for Gretsch Jim Dandy

Lewis77

• Members

Hello all.

My Jim Dandy needs new tuners. Now, this is a £150 kick about guitar, so, to spend a lot of money on tuners, is ridiculous.

Basically! Can anyone suggest a decent budget set of on plate tuners for such a guitar. Under £25/$30

Thanks.

• Members
3 hours ago, Lewis77 said:

Hello all.

My Jim Dandy needs new tuners. Now, this is a £150 kick about guitar, so, to spend a lot of money on tuners, is ridiculous.

Basically! Can anyone suggest a decent budget set of on plate tuners for such a guitar. Under £25/$30

Thanks.

I think that guitar uses a slotted headstock style of tuner (similar to classical guitar tuners but with metal pegs. Measure the peg distances and see if you can find a match on Ebay.

• Members

Those tuners are called Golden Aged tuners. I haven't measured those pups on your Jim Dandy, but Stew Mac has that style with some very nice review.

Double your budget and your in, and will be very happy.

Edited by Mikeo

• Members
1 hour ago, daddymack said:

"doubling the budget"...not what he asked for....:philpalm:

Well maybe the f!@kin gear fairy will come along and sell them to him for 25/30 pounds, with free shipping and while the gear fairy is at it, hell put em on.

You know the gear Fairy, the one that sells 59 Les Paul's for 125 bucks.

Daddy Mack the big helper. :philpalm:

I gave the guy and an answer, you gave him nothing.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mikeo said:

Well maybe the f!@kin gear fairy will come along and sell them to him for 25/30 pounds, with free shipping and while the gear fairy is at it, hell put em on.

You know the gear Fairy, the one that sells 59 Les Paul's for 125 bucks.

Daddy Mack the big helper. :philpalm:

whatever:rolleyes2:...the guitar is worth about $200, and he should put $60+ tuners on it? Do you suppose he should also order a $120 case for it while he's at it...?

The OP specifically asked for something under $30. Now if you are offering to pony up the other 30+ bux, then your answer would be helpful.

Now that I have had time to look, gee, that took no time at all....$15 https://www.allparts.com/collections/tuners-3x3/products/tk-0776-open-gear-3x3-strip-keys

So now, I have given him an answer that meets his criteria. What you got? You got nuffin!sm-rotfl

• Like 1

• Members
1 hour ago, daddymack said:

whatever:rolleyes2:...the guitar is worth about $200, and he should put $60+ tuners on it? Do you suppose he should also order a $120 case for it while he's at it...?

The OP specifically asked for something under $30. Now if you are offering to pony up the other 30+ bux, then your answer would be helpful.

Now that I have had time to look, gee, that took no time at all....$15 https://www.allparts.com/collections/tuners-3x3/products/tk-0776-open-gear-3x3-strip-keys

So now, I have given him an answer that meets his criteria. What you got? You got nuffin!sm-rotfl

A big f!@kin SOLD OUT, that's what you got.:bounce022:

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Mikeo said:

A big f!@kin SOLD OUT, that's what you got.:bounce022:

and a 'notify when available' link...:wave:

So the less expensive ones will be back in stock eventually,,,and the ones you linked will still be twice the budget...glad you see humor in this.:rolleyes2:

Wonder why they are sold out and the ones you posted are not?:rolleyes2:

So, are you making up the extra $30+ for the OP or not?:philpalm:

• Like 1

• Members
On 3/18/2022 at 8:27 PM, daddymack said:

and a 'notify when available' link...:wave:

So the less expensive ones will be back in stock eventually,,,and the ones you linked will still be twice the budget...glad you see humor in this.:rolleyes2:

Wonder why they are sold out and the ones you posted are not?:rolleyes2:

So, are you making up the extra $30+ for the OP or not?:philpalm:

I usually buy them on Ebay and they come from China: £10 - £15 inc. delivery. Works for me.

• Like 2

• Members
16 hours ago, badpenguin said:

13.00 bucks and in stock.

AYUBOUSA Acoustic Guitar Tuning Pegs Machine Heads Tuning Keys Tuners Chrome | eBay

8 bucks

3R3L Acoustic Classical Guitar String Tuning Pegs Machine Heads Tuners Key Metal | eBay

But before replacing tuners, have you lubed the nut slots? 90% of the time, tuning issue start with a crappy nut.

Yeah. Like I said above, they are just standard slothead tuners. The Jim Dandy just uses them fixed to the back of a paddle headstock.

• Members
2 hours ago, badpenguin said:

They are not slot heads. They are typical tuners used on most acoustic guitars.

No, they are not. Most acoustic guitars use a set of six individual tuners.

The strip ones like you posted are generally used on slothead guitars (and, when the steel peg has a plastic sleeve, on classical guitars). Gretsch has just used the strips on the rear of the Jim Dandy paddle headstock .

It may well be that some early steel string acoustics were fitted with strip tuners because they were widely in use on classical guitars. I have a Recording King ROS-16 that is a sort of copy of the Martin 000 -45 and that uses tuners virtually identiacl strip tuners.

• Members
On 3/18/2022 at 12:56 PM, Mikeo said:

. . . Daddy Mack the big helper. :philpalm:

Mikeo, whatever was going on at the time, I hope you're over it and your posts will return to seminormal.

On 3/21/2022 at 12:28 PM, garthman said:

No, they are not. Most acoustic guitars use a set of six individual tuners. . . .

You apparently don't have a lot of exposure to cheap guitars. Three-on-a-plate tuners are common on budget instruments. Further, the pegs are different, with a tapered portion slothead tuners don't have. I hope you can see that in this pic:

downloadfile.thumb.jpeg.ae91a22a82026a17fbd706eebe63a148.jpeg

Edited by DeepEnd

• Members
18 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

Mikeo, whatever was going on at the time, I hope you're over it and your posts will return to seminormal.

You apparently don't have a lot of exposure to cheap guitars. Three-on-a-plate tuners are common on budget instruments. Further, the pegs are different, with a tapered portion slothead tuners don't have. I hope you can see that in this pic:

Well, you are an odd lot over there to be sure.

• Members
On 3/22/2022 at 10:20 PM, DeepEnd said:

It's not like the guy was looking at for  cheap gig bag and I sent him to Calton Cases.

I try not to my too much made in China, if you can tell me how to do, I'd sure like to know.