Crossover settings on Driverack 260

• Members

On the Driverack 260 you can choose the crossover point and slope. So, if I'm running a high and low system and I want to crossover around 100 with a slope of 24db/octave do I set both the low and high crossover point at 100 or do I set the low point lower (say 98) and the high point higher (say 102) so that, graphically, the "cross" point (considering the slope) is lower.

Am I making sense?

I realize this may be a "taste" type of setting but thought I ask.

• Members

As a generalization, set them the same. For slope, I find that 24dB/octave LR filters are generally the best starting point.

The only time underlapping or overlapping filters are used with LR alignments is if the acoustic response of the individual cabinets have anomolies at the crossover point.

Be sure you pay close attention to all of the modules in the DR260, there are things that can be easily overlooked and thus incorrect assumptions about your setup will lead you to think things are different than they actually are.

• Members

As a generalization, set them the same. For slope, I find that 24dB/octave LR filters are generally the best starting point.

The only time underlapping or overlapping filters are used with LR alignments is if the acoustic response of the individual cabinets have anomolies at the crossover point.

Be sure you pay close attention to all of the modules in the DR260, there are things that can be easily overlooked and thus incorrect assumptions about your setup will lead you to think things are different than they actually are.

Thanks! I'll set it up that way.

Regarding the modules of the DR260...I've read the manual extensively and because it's new to me I've turned off most features and only use them as I become familiar. I don't use the wizards and have it configured for only what I need. For the first gig the past weekend I've used it as a glorified crossover with minimal use of the EQ. I may experiment with light compression this week. I don't know if the Feedback suppression is worth fooling with but I would like to become familiar with it.

Funny story though...after I was finished with setup and getting ready to go eat I tried to store the settings before powering down everything. I ended up deleting the program entirely. Talk about feeling stupid! So now, I've made backup user programs.

• Members

Good idea. There are a lot of details to keep straight, and when we service these systems using any of the DSP processors we find all kinds of unintentional things inside... some of them causing expensive failures to speakers.

The standard response is... I thought... and it's not possible...

• Members

Or frequently as with subwoofers the relative levels are not the same. Typically subs are run 6 dB+ hotter than the levels of the midband. That effectively moves the corner frequency of the filter up so even though they are electrically the same acoustically they are no longer balanced.

Archived