CD reburns

1001gear

• Members

Afraid to pick this up? Artists rights?

I've found commercial CD tracks to be the best lab for practice. (A debt any musician owes the industry) Practice that is. And towards that end... eavor, I rip the tracks I use and simply burn them as required. Problem is "same as original" doesn't seem to mean exact dupe. How to fix?

• Members

Thanks for leaving out every and all technical details about how you're "re-burning" these CDs, so I don't have to give a real answer, just this snarky/sarcastic one! 

A *digital* copy is, or should be, a byte-for-byte copy and should be indistinguishable from the source material. Having said that - there's no telling what kind of B.S. may be going on "behind the curtain" in programs commonly used for burning CDs, like Windows Media Player.  Media Player may impose limiting or other shenanigans to keep home-burned CDs from having the same "impact" as factory CDs, but I honestly don't know and never considered this.  To me, this is kind of a "so what?" problem because it's easily dealt with by turning up the volume control on your playback device.

SCIENCE! could answer these questions. Easy enough to get a DAW like Audacity, dub tracks off both a factory CD and home-burned copy of same, then line up the waveforms and see if they're the same, see if they have the same maximum and RMS loudness levels.