Question about Mic cables

• Members

I am needing to replace some mic cables. Who makes the most durable, bang for the buck cables? Longevity and durabilty are my most important criteria not worried about specs so much. I have been using horizon cables and had decent longevity but wondering if there is something out there that will take more abuse before they fail. So I assume that means heavier jackets. I dont want to spend 50 dollars for one cable either.

Thanks in advance

Cappttenron

• Members

Belden 8412 style cable is the most rugged, and is used on probably more touring rigs than all else combined. Rapco and Horizon both offer it in their real pro cable. Music stores are unlikely to even know what it is though, they will have to order them in for you. Rapco's cable code is NP for the 8412 series w/ Neutrik connectors. They will run you about $30-$35 for a 20' cable though.

Audiopile's Starline is another very good cable and probably a better band for the buck than 8412.

I have found that the quad cables in general do not hold up as well as the equiv. standard cable, and gave found zero difference in performance between the two types. Don't forget, they are connected to (in my case) 200' of snake with shielded twisted pair.

• Members

I use Digi-Flex and EWI. I'm VERY impressed with the EWI cables, and in fact, ANY of the EWI products I've purchased (snakes, D.I.'s, instrument-cables).

I'm in Canada, and the EWI distributor here is Sal Larose, at SPL Pro Audio in Kitchener, Ontario. Excellent service and advice. :thu:

http://splproaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=about_us

Bob

• Members

What do ya'll think of this cable:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=bulk-mic-cable

I just used it to wire a mic-level patchbay, as I had it on hand, but I think that their bulk connectors are okay.

With their bulk ends it come out to around 7.50 per 25' cable and I like the connectors better than the lowish-end ones found on cheap cables but not quite as much as the neutrik. I'm pretty fast at making these thins, so if you factor time it might not work out if you are slow-- I certainly wouldn't do it for anyone else.

• Members

I just used it to wire a mic-level patchbay, as I had it on hand, but I think that their bulk connectors are okay.

With their bulk ends it come out to around 7.50 per 25' cable and I like the connectors better than the lowish-end ones found on cheap cables but not quite as much as the neutrik. I'm pretty fast at making these thins, so if you factor time it might not work out if you are slow-- I certainly wouldn't do it for anyone else.

i have some 50ft gls mic cables that i got a while back that have performed very well. they have neutrik ends and were very reasonable priced. i would buy more from them in the future.

• Members

There is a local shop that sells that stuff as their house cable/connectors and I have bought from them quite a few times out of convenience. It is worlds better than most cheap cabling and connectors out there -- most of which I'm very nervous to even use, let alone invest in.

That said, it is definitely not up to the quality of the other makes mentioned in this thread.

• Members

I'm in Canada, and the EWI distributor here is Sal Larose, at SPL Pro Audio in Kitchener, Ontario. Excellent service and advice.
:thu:

I just bought a couple insert snakes from 'em. Ordered them at 2am and they were here when I got home from work the next day.

Kitchener is only about a 45-60 minute drive from here, though.

• Members

It resembles Horizon LowZ1, which I like a lot. Very durable, easy to terminate (spiral wrap shield). The available colors are not the standard EIA colors, which sucks a bit.

Wirelux MusiLux comes in EIA colors and its jacket seems to reject dirt better than the Horizon - very nice.

I've never cared for 8412. The jacket has too much memory, and while robust, the braided shield is a pain to work with.

• Members

I have a variety of what I consider good cables (canare, mogami, and others), but had 2 fail at a gig recently. Guess what? They were both monster cables (a 100 series, and a 500 series).

Lots of good advice above, I always like what agedhorse has to say.

• Members

It resembles Horizon LowZ1, which I like a lot. Very durable, easy to terminate (spiral wrap shield). The available colors are not the standard EIA colors, which sucks a bit.

Wirelux MusiLux comes in EIA colors and its jacket seems to reject dirt better than the Horizon - very nice.

I've never cared for 8412. The jacket has too much memory, and while robust, the braided shield is a pain to work with.

The braided shield and heavy net conductor size, the jute-poly fillers and the jacket all contribute to a VERY well shielded, robust cable. Far superior in every way (except ease of termination) to the spiral wrap cable.

IF you are a professional, and know what you are doing with cable, the (heavy) braided shields are so far superior that it's no contest. Yeah, it takes me an extra 60 seconds per end, but so what.

• Members

I have a variety of what I consider good cables (canare, mogami, and others), but had 2 fail at a gig recently. Guess what? They were both monster cables (a 100 series, and a 500 series).

Lots of good advice above, I always like what agedhorse has to say.

Monster cables suck pretty bad, they do break alot.

Archived