Crackling in PA speaker

• Members

Probably a dirty pot on the mixer, but I just want to verify whether it would have anything to do with low impedence microphones on a cable that is a hundred feet long (church application). A store rep tried to upsell microphones as the solution to the crackling. I want to verify whether that has anything to do with crackling.

Low impedence microphones vs High impedence microphones on 100 foot cables: Crackling in a speaker or no?

thanks in advance!

• Members

Low impedance balanced microphone on 100' of balanced cable into a balanced input should not be a problem unless there is s problem with the mic or the cable or the connector itself.

High imprdance mics just don't exist in pro audio.

Does the system crackle or make noise on any other source?

• Members

It's not my system, it's someone elses. I am just verifying that his 'rep' is trying to rip him off by trying to talk him into replacing all the microphones to fix a crackle in one of the PA speakers. 2 of the mics are lo and 3 are high impedence. I don't want to call someone a crook until I've verified it on Harmony Central.

• Members

If the crackle on from only one of several loudspeakers, then nothing that is common to all of the loudspeakers (mics, cables, mixer channels) would be the problem. It's either the speaker, the speaker cable, the amp channel (if the channel is driving only the one speaker), the cable to the amp channel (if the channel is driving only the one speaker), or the output of the mixer (if that output is driving only the one amp channel that is driving only the one speaker).

• Members

It's not my system, it's someone elses. I am just verifying that his 'rep' is trying to rip him off by trying to talk him into replacing all the microphones to fix a crackle in one of the PA speakers. 2 of the mics are lo and 3 are high impedence. I don't want to call someone a crook until I've verified it on Harmony Central.

May or may not be the cause.

I would abandon all the Hi impedance mic stuff for sure (unless you are confused by terminiology)

• Members

This would be my solution.

Try a different input and see if the problem is still there.

Try a different mic.

Try a different cable....etc.

That is usually the way I trouble shoot things.

If you are still getting the problems after all that....then it could be the speakers, speaker cables, amps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

i am having a similar issue with cracking out of my mains in a permanently installed live sound setup. I have noticed that even when i totally mute the outputs from my board, and even unplug the output, the crackling remains. i will test the cables etc and report back later if i find something that works.

Archived