VOX AC10-TWIN Regrets

ksl

• Members

Greetings,,, I'm at 'that' point where reading about amp that used to be my All-time #1,
is creating great agida, especially since I lost the amp to some untimely life related upheaval.
Not really wanting to spring for anything close to what these originals actually command, I'm thinking (trouble) about having one of the reputed amp builders ála Trinity, Lil Dawg, or countless similar companies to build me a VERY close head only rendition of this circuit, using all the tubes native to that AC10-Twin circuit... I don't really need the tremolo circuit, but if I recall correctly, 'THAT' channel was the one where the MOJO lived, but my memory fails me,, so please jump in to refresh me, but equally as important, who should I go to for such an undertaking? It's a tad beyond my existing intermediate technical smarts & abilities, so I need to commission some company who's able & willing...
ANY thoughts or suggestions that may lead me to a faithful reproduction of my lost treasure?? Many thanks in advance for all your great thoughts & insights.
Kenny 🕉🎶
kslewitt@gmail.com 

• Members

Pretty straightforward circuit, shouldn't be a difficult build. If you don't need the tremolo and are willing to give up the "normal" channel inputs, it's just an EF86 preamp, ECC83/12AX7 phase splitter, two EL84 power amp tubes, and an EZ81 rectifier. Make sure they include the choke filter in the power supply.

ac10_1.jpg

• Members

The Fender 57 Teed is on my list of amps to own. I would build it myself.

Mojo tone

I don't think there's a bad tone in it.

I don't need reverb or trem. I have amps with that and I have both on my pedal board.

My Marshall JCM 800 has neither reverb or trem and it is an awesome amp.

Watch this one

• Members

Thanks all,,, So if I really don't require the trem circuit, are there at all any bottom-line, tone- altering components in that ECF82 section that contribute to the overall bark of the amp & it's overall sound?

• Members

The pentode portion of the ECF82 is the tremolo oscillator, which has no direct effect on tone. It modulates the bias point of the EF86 which creates the tremolo. If you remove, the ECF82, you'll want to play with the value of the 1.5K resistor connected to the EF86 cathode. This resistor sets the bias point of the EF86. Vary this to taste.

The triode portion of the ECF82 is the amplification stage for the normal inputs. Again, this does not effect the the EF86 channel tone. 

Right now the ECC83 phase splitter goes through a .01 capacitor to the normal volume pot. When you remove the ECF82, you can tie the capacitor directly to ground. You can add a fixed resistor in place of the volume pot if you think it changes the tone.

The three .005 capacitors connected to 1Mohm resistors (going into the tremolo volume pot) are there to remove the modulation signal from the input signal. You could take these out, but they will have an effect on tone so try it both ways and see how it sounds.
Good luck